Home Buying in Dallas>Question Details

pr905, Home Buyer in

Hi, we recently made an offer above list price in the coveted Brentfield School District. The home inspection went ok except for the roof - a part of

Asked by pr905, Sat Apr 5, 2014

Hi, we recently made an offer above list price in the coveted Brentfield School District. The home inspection went ok except for the roof - a part of which needs to be replaced or repaired. In the inspector's words - junk. The owner has gone back and forth , trying to get a quote , then offering $3000, then asking his insurance company to fix it - which refused and now wants to knock off $7000 from the selling price. Our agent has had his roofer inspect the roof and has not shared any estimates. What should we do ?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

3
BEST ANSWER
If the roof is that bad, you may not be able to get homeowner's insurance without a new roof. Taking $7,000 off the sales price doesn't help you because you're going to have to pay to replace the roof in cash. Find out if the seller has enough equity in the house to even cover the cost of a new roof. If they do, have the title company escrow the cost of the roof repair out of the seller's proceeds. After the roof is replaced, the title company will pay the bill. Or, find a roofer that will fix the roof and wait until closing to get paid. Make sure you approve or pick the company that is doing the work; you don't want a substandard roof if the seller is trying to save a few books.

Good luck!

Alysse Musgrave
HelpUBuyAmerica.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2014
Thank you for your detailed reply !!
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014
You got to get your own 3 estimates.
You need to consult an insurance agent who'd send in their inspector.
Then, you'll know if the roof is insurable.
If it is not - the seller might fix the roof to make it insurable.
This is because they want to sell the house and you are a ready and willing buyer.
But, also because they must disclose this issues to all other buyers (if you decide not to buy) after you...

Depending on what comes out of this research, it sounds that you are buying a pretty good property and you are working with a flexible seller, willing to work out the issues. I'd continue negotiating (making sure you are still in the home inspection period - which you might need to extend, to give yourself more time) with a goal of getting the seller to fix the roof instead of giving you a discount on the price. Second option could be seller partially fixing the roof now (to get insurance), giving you 7K+ at closing - towards your closing costs.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 13, 2014
Wait for the estimate and if it bothers you, discuss with your agent about your concern. You can also get more than one estimate for your roof and talk to the roofer as well so you know what you are getting into.

Good luck,
Susie Kay, RealtorĀ®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 5, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer