Home Buying in Punta Gorda>Question Details

Sonia Johnson, Real Estate Pro in Ipswich, MA

Hi, we are very interested in purchasing canal front land in Punta Gorda. What is the difference between Punta Gorda Isles & Burnt Store Isles?

Asked by Sonia Johnson, Ipswich, MA Fri Dec 28, 2012

We plan to have a dock & lift for a 35' /- powerboat. And would initially not build for a few yrs as we would use the property as a vacation location until we retire and then build if we like the area. Thx for any advise on areas. We really loved the town and water access the town has to offer.

Answers

15
there isn't much difference in area's thier both Punta Gorda address--BS Isles also has golfing and a club house that is optional to join--both areas will have faster access to the Bay -Harbor -Gulf it all about location both area will be priced about the same again depending on size of lot and access to water. If you would like me to e-mail some listing to you please send e-mail address to timboff@fivestarrealty.com Thanks
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
Thank you so much for all of your replies! We are in the early stages of making this purchase, but it could take place in 2013. We have toured the PGI and really loved the area. Some neighborhoods were nicer than others, but we love to boat and really liked the neighborhood feel. Our next visit will include checking out BSI and possibly the Englewood canal area. Although we think those areas might be a little too remote for us. It's nice to get to a restaurant or store within 15-20 minutes. When we toured the Cape Coral and Pine Island areas it seemed like it took a long time thru lights, etc to get anywhere. Thx again!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
I also am from the northeast originally; I have lived full-time in Florida now for almost 30 years.

I moved to PGI about 5 years ago and love it. It is great to be on a canal and be able to see the river down the block. We watch Dolphins come up the canal from the river to visit us.

There are lots of areas in PGI that are great for sailboats (no bridges to get under) and others that have some bridges (so they are great for motorboats).

BSI is great also. It offers both canals as well as the golf course and a lake with a preserve. I hear that you can watch the eagle teach the babies to fish.

Both areas are prime opportunities right now. Our area was always pretty inexpensive compared to other areas..... and Florida was hit hard by the real estate bust. Prices are stabilizing but we are still 'cheap'. It is a good time to buy!

Start by making a list of your priorities: what is really important and what is less important. Then, let the computer "do the walking". I spent years as a computer director in Florida. I would be glad to email you a sort if you tell me your priorities. If you want, you can email at PHYLLIS@MyFloridaHome.Info, and I will be glad to send you a list. Happy New Year!
Hello, Sonia -

All these agents are correct in their comments except that I have seen a lift on a vacant parcel - it was battery-powered and there were solar panels to keep the batteries at full charge (after all, THIS IS Florida). There may be some additional permitting required, but in any case you should check with the Punta Gorda Building Department yourself for the final answer.

Here are a couple of links that will demonstrate a point not yet addressed by the previous respondents - the dollars involved.

If you try to "bookmark" these links, they may not be accessible via the bookmarks because sometimes these websites replace the true URL with a different value (and the complete link may not be displayed in this message - there will be "...." at the end of the link); I'll be pleased to email them to you - just give me a call if you experience this issue.

Currently active Punta Gorda Isles waterfront vacant parcel listings -

http://puntagordawaterfront.mfr.mlxchange.com/?id=3535333733…

Currently active Burnt Store Isles waterfront vacant parcel listings -

http://puntagordawaterfront.mfr.mlxchange.com/?id=3736343339…

Recently Closed Sales - http://www.KRolland.info

(scroll down the page a bit - the vacant parcel closings are at the ends of sections 2 and 3)

And, of course, feel free to make use of all of the other resources available on our website.

Ken & Karen Rolland
Hi Sonia,

A key boating difference between BSI and PGI that has not been mentioned is that Burnt Store Isles has a lock to go through to get to Alligator Creek. The lock is always open, but the opening is only 17' wide. You probably have an 11-12' beam on your powerboat and it would fit, but it's tight. My husband and I took our 30'Sea Ray with an 11' beam up to the entrance to check it out last year and the 2 1/2' on either side of the boat got real small with the 90 degree cross current. I would stick to PGI. Also, for either area, you can put a dock on your vacant lot, but not a lift. The lift requires power and they tie that in with a building permit. We've been in the area as boaters for a long time and would be happy to help you find the right lot. Visit us on our website http://www.PGILiving.com

Cady
Sonia,

Glad you like Punta Gorda, you have very good taste.

The below responses hold some good information and are accurate.

Visiting the area and spending some time with a Realtor is important to finding the right property for your needs, not just for the boat, but for you and your family as well.

Plan on a couple days or at least part of a couple days, visit the various waterfront communities and choose what makes you feel comfortable. Give your Realtor some advance notice as to what you are looking for so they will maximize your time spent looking.

Any of us that have responded would be glad to assist in your search.

Good Luck, hope you make Punta Gorda your next home.

Sam Sanders
Coldwell Banker Morris Realty
941 637-1090 office
941 979-7391 Cell
ssanders@sunline.net
HI Sonia,

There a few key differences between PGI and BSI. The location of the two communities is the primary difference as Punta Gorda Isles sits immediately adjacent to the Peace River and downtown Punta Gorda with a number of shops and restaurants while Burnt Store Isles sits about three miles south of downtown Punta Gorda along Tamiami Trail, therefore, PGI provides alittle quicker access to a few more amenities than BSI, and certain areas of PGI are within walking distance of downtown and the waterfront parks. Development in PGI began in the 1960's, so there is a broader distinction among the age and style of houses in PGI than BSI where the age and style of the homes somewhat more consistent. This is one reason why I have sold a number of homes in BSI to people moving into the area because they liked the "feel" of BSI better. From a boating standpoint, they both have very good access. Since PGI sits on the Peace River, it gives you the advantage of choosing whether to go upriver or out to the gulf. On windy days, the trip out to the gulf can be choppy while the river provides alittle more protection from the wind. On the other hand, since BSI sits further south, the trip to the gulf is can be about 15 to 20 minutes shorter depending upon where you live in either community. Both communities have some areas that have quicker access to open water and other areas that will take longer to get out which is very important in the selction of your home's location especially if you are planning to be on your boat alot. Lastly, the average size lot in either community is going to provide about 80' of seawall which is plenty of room for a 35' boat, however, some corner lots only provide 35' to 40' of seawall which would not be enough for a 35' boat. I hope this helps.
Hi Sonia - Alan Johnson here. I'm a realtor in Punta Gorda and an 8-year Floridian by way of Gloucester! Small world. I still miss the clams at Farnham's. Punta Gorda is a great town and if you like the North Shore then this area will suit your tastes far better than surrounding communities like Port Charlotte to the north or Cape Coral to the south.

You'll probably get differing points of view from different agents, but in my mind the principal difference between BSI and PGI is open water access. Every home in BSI has sailboat access to the Harbor whereas much of PGI is limited to powerboat access, meaning you need to pass under a bridge. With a 35' boat you'll probably be OK in PGI as the bridges have 14-15' clearance. Other differences are age (most of BSI is a few years newer than a lot of PGI), appearance (even though lots are roughly the same size, many of my buyers feel BSI seems less crowded than PGI), location (BSI is located 2-3 miles from downtown where PGI is very close and much of it is within walking or biking distance from things like Fisherman's Village, Ponce DeLeon Park and downtown shops & restaurants).

I think you're going to run into a problem in either area with regard to your plan. I believe the current codes will prohibit you from installing a dock and lift without a home on the lot. That said, it's a great time to buy a lot for future building. You may find that you can buy then rent a dock and lift from someone not currently using it. There are a lot of those. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Of course, this just brushes the surface so if I can help with more information or a list of lot availablilities in either of the Isles, please let me know. Take care . . .

Alan Johnson
239-745-5070
TeamYou1st.com
My aunt is from Ipswich, I remember the beaches as a child. Burnt Store and the isles are both beautiful waterfront areas. Both are great boating communities. Call me and I'll help you find a home, my cell 781-799-7570.
Claudia Debruyn
Maxim LLC
Salesnmktg@gmail.com
Burnt Store Isles is your ‘dream come true’! This exclusive waterfront, golf community features nearly 1000 canal-front and 400 golf course homes with a country club, boat club, and even a computer club. Minutes from Punta Gorda, this area is perfect for bird-watchers, sporting egrets, ibis, osprey and wood storks. Bring your sailboat and your golf clubs - an 18-hole championship course awaits you. Swim in the community pool and play on your own tennis courts. Choose from villas, condos or building lots, or cozy up in a three-bedroom waterfront home right along the canal.

Punta Gorda Isles (PGI) is a large upscale waterfront community in Punta Gorda FL. With city water and sewer and close proximity to I-75 and US 41, Punta Gorda Isles is convenient to all services and amenities and close to downtown Punta Gorda, Fort Myers and Naples. Punta Gorda Isles was once swampland dredged by General Development Corp. in 1957 to create a maze of seawalled saltwater canals. Canals in Punta Gorda Isles are 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and the seawalls and canals are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda. This is a primarily a boating, golfing and country club neighborhood with pretty Spanish tile roofs and a strong homeowner’s association to help maintain value.

At the center of Punta Gorda Isles is the St. Andrews Golf Club, along with a small commercial area that offers services to residents. Punta Gorda Isles is a deed restricted community with over 6,000 lots. Punta Gorda Isles has its own yacht club, and a private golf club, so residents never have to leave home to pursue their passion. This community is an ideal location for nature lovers, water enthusiasts, boaters and golfers. Homes in Punta Gorda Isles are beautifully landscaped and intelligently conceived to suit the surrounding environment. A few homes border the St. Andrew’s South Golf Club. The Punta Gorda Isles road system was designed to minimize traffic and to give the community the feel of a small, private neighborhood. There are a few new homes and lots in this community but many purchases today are for existing homes and condos, some dating back to the 1960s.

I would be happy to send you some listings or answer any other specific questions you may have.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Burnt Store Isles is actually Section 15 of Punta Gorda Isles. That section followed the original sections in Punta Gorda Isles which started in the 60s, so there are some older homes that may be below the current FEMA Flood Level. Burnt Store Isles requires a boat lift on new construction & accesses Charlotte Harbor through Alligator Creek, which can get a bit shallow in the wintertime.
Both areas are in the City of Punta Gorda, who maintains the seawalls. With a 35' vessel you would want to avoid corner lots which have limited seawall space. I would be glad to set you up a vacant lot search. Thanks, Debra Gurin 941-875-3242 dgurin@kw.com
Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles were developed by the same company. Punta Gordas Isles was the first phase and Burnt Store Isles was the second. Certain sections of Punta Gorda Isles have closer proximity to the Charlotte Harbor, where as a the lead time from Burnt Store Isles is longer. Both communities are very desirable.
Punta Gorda Isles is closest to downtown Punta Gorda. Although both have access to the harbor, there are differences between the areas as well as differences within each area. Before buying a waterfront lot here, I would suggest you spend some time studying the area as well as finding a knowlegeable Realtor to work with that has your best interest in mind.
Great areas! Burnt Store Isles is a newer, smaller community then PGI. In fact, Burnt Store Isles is where we choose to purchase our first Florida home when we relocated here 13 years ago from Ohio! Please e mail me at info@accordingtohoyle.com or call 941.235.3528! You will love it here!