Home101, Home Buyer in South Brunswick, NJ

Hi, we are contemplating putting an offer for a house that has some wetland and water detention basin in the back of the house. can it be a problem?

Asked by Home101, South Brunswick, NJ Thu Mar 10, 2011

This is a lot actually for a to be built house. We are concerned abt the wetland and water detention basin being so close to the house. Any input appreciated.

Answers

6
Home Owner’s answer
I had the same misgivings when we purchased our house in 2000 because the back is a water detention basin. But I have lived here for 11 years without any problems whatsoever. The water goes away after the rain. My kids enjoy kayaking after the rain and sledding during the winter. Mosquitoes don't breed because the basin is dry during the summer. The township maintains it year-round.
A water detention basin close to the house is a problem. Number one, it is unsightly and can detract from value and marketability. Number two, it can become a habitat for mosquitoes and other moisture loving plants and animals. Also I'd be concerned about a wet basement in an area near wetlands and a detention basin. I'd say pass, the lot is probably cheap for a reason.

-Marc
That is a great question! What amazes me more is, don't you have an agent that is explaining this to you? That is what they are paid and trained to assist with. There are buffer zones, flood zones, wetlands, pinelands, that all could prevent the possibility of adding onto a property, and sometimes you will have flood insurance as well. Get your agent involved....

Janet Larsen, Broker/Associate
Remax Connection
856-415-1210, ext 321
Cell 856-261-6910
Web Reference: http://www.njrealtorjan.com
The fact that you are concerned is your 1st indication! -Trust your Gut...

Debbie is right on! I always think about re-sale in every aspect of Real estate, remodeling etc... Unless you are getting a VERY enticing discount for your future resale, I'd pass and never look back.

There are simply way too many Homes available in all shapes, sizes and neighborhoods to even consider buying something that has a major objection such as this.

It might make a good rental prop? (at the right price...)

Best of Luck to you!
`
http://www.trulia.com/blog/leegoade/2011/02/the_1st_step_to_…
`
Not only might it be a "problem" now, but it might also be a problem when you go to sell it down the road.
Buyers may very well be turned off by the proximity of the wetlands and basin.

Are you getting this lot at a big discounted price due to its location?
What is the rest of the neighborhood like? Have other homes sold in the recent past?

Make sure you are an informed consumer before making such a large investment on what might be a questionable lot.

Best wishes........

Web Reference: http://www.debbierosesells.com
It can be a problem. Consult the town for zoning. You want to make sure that you're not influenced by a designated flood plain.