Mbyrd769, Home Buyer in Clearwater, FL

Hi my name is Muriel and I get your listing for houses all the time. I wanted to know if you can send me some rent to own houses as well. Thanks

Asked by Mbyrd769, Clearwater, FL Tue Jan 29, 2013

I need a 4 bed 2 Bath over 2000 sq ft with a enclosed pool area.

Answers

2
You may not like the real answer, Muriel. First, I want to say BUYER BEWARE! Most of the rent-to-own situations are not ideal. There are reasons there are NO rent-to-own listings on the Multiple Listing Service.

There are some homes that the sellers may be willing to carry financing for the buyer, but a true lease purchase option typically requires a substantial down payment, and is likely to be at a higher-than-market interest rate.

Other alleged rent-to-own situations such as you find on the internet are typically way over priced for rentals in which the renter is assured the "extra" is going toward a down payment. But check the fine print. Often the renter is responsible for ALL upkeep -- fancy buying your landlord a new roof or central air system? There are many ways to write leases in such a way as to defraud the unwary. IF you do decide to go this direction, you would be well-advised to spend the money for a good attorney who specializes specifically in real estate law to review any paperwork BEFORE you sign anything or give anyone any deposit money.

So-called "rent-to-own" is not listed on the Multiple Listing Service for many reasons, although you can find countless websites that assure the buyer everything is wonderful. I can only report what experience has taught -- that is, the possibility of this being an above-board transaction is very slim. Unfortunately Florida has more than its share of unscrupulous people who have made millions taking advantage of the unsuspecting. There are multiple horror stories about fraudulent companies. Some rented properties that did not even belong to them.

The real question you should be addressing is why you believe that is your best option. If you have poor credit now, how will it be better a year from now? One of the ways you can lose your money in a rent-to-own is the clause that says you will have to be accepted for a mortgage at the end of the lease. So ask yourself, how will that happen if you aren't there now?

If the issue is not having enough money for a down payment, there are assistance programs available, if you qualify. I'd be happy to put you in touch with mortgage experts who can give you a realistic assessment of where you are and how to get where you want to be.

Elaine
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Thank you. You really gave me the information I needed. I am working with Lexington Law to help get my credit score to a place where I can buy a home. I am just wanting the process get better than it is. It just seems to be taking longer than I thought..
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
I do not have any of those. I will try and check. Not real common rent to own and I do not do rentals.