Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Msbc, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Hi, We work in Midtown Manhattan and looking to buy a single family home in areas that have less than an hour commute. Please suggest areas.

Asked by Msbc, New Jersey Mon Apr 25, 2011

We have a one year old and would prefer a good school district. We would like to stay within 700k.

Answers

8
MSBC -

Your commute is one thing, but also the type of area you are looking for could sway your options also. Most of the less than an hour commute towns are going to be a little more busy then say Middlesex County where there is a more suburban feel.

If you are willing to add 15 mintues onto that number.. we can really find you a great house within East Brunswick, South Brunswick area wth great schools and a commute withinin the hour ten range..

Let me know if interested!

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
Office: 732-863-6969
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 26, 2011
Msbc, you have to know that agents are going to be partial to their particular area. There ARE many great choices but this is not the best place to research towns because obviously all agents will speak glowingly about the areas they service.

There is so much information on line. Draw a line that would be the cutoff for an hour commute to Midtown (probably no more than 20 miles during rush hour if you are driving in) and start researching individual towns.

Only you know the specifics about what you need/want. Do you plan on driving in or using mass transit? Do you want suburbs or more small city feel? Walking distance to a town or a lawn to mow?

Look very carefully at taxes because as you probably already know, NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation and a 700k home can easily add several thousand dollars to your monthly payment depending on what town you are in.

The weather is turning nice and its a great time to start touring around towns that look interesting to you.

Once you have narrowed down the areas you are interested in, then its time to start interviewing agents. Places like Trulia and Zillow are excellent resources in looking at the types of answers agents post but the fact of the matter is, most agents you won't find here. Interview carefully and patiently until you have found the one. A great agent will make all the difference in your experience.
How about Leonia, NJ? Public transportation to Manhattan is readily available if that's of interest. Excellent school system. My best friend is a teacher, and they live there because of the school system -- they have 3 kids. It's a nice community - close to everything, but not a city. You will be able to find a beautiful home in your price range. All I ask in return for this wonderfully helpful information (haha) is that you please consider me as an option when the time comes to consider mortgages. :) Best of luck to you.
--Liz Santos
http://www.RHFunding.com
Try Rutherford! Souther Bergen county's best kept secret. Great school system, lovely town & within 20 minute commute to/from NYC-it's why so many that work in Manhatten move here! I've got some fabulous listings in your price point as well. Let me know if I can be of service.
Aileen Vitale
AW Van Winkle & Co
MSBC, I agree with Jeremy. Mercer and Middlesex Counties offer some great homes within an hour commute of Manhattan. Monroe Township has the lowest property taxes in Middlesex County and the school system is Blue Ribbon rated. Princeton Junction and Princeton obviously offer well rated school systems as well. You'll find a lower price point in Monroe than in Princeton as well as quite a bit of new construction. There are many people in town who commute daily to NYC.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck in your search.

John R. Wuertz
Sales Associate
The Wuertz-Kahuila Team
Coldwell Banker Elite, Realtors
http://www.Connect2Homes.com
Hi Again- as I said you have MANY options here in Morris County.
Carolle
Hi-
Morris County is GREAT place to live!
.Lakes,Parks,good restaurants and schools and shopping.
Also there is a train to mid town direct (about 45 min) and park and ride buses.
Please give me a call and we can discuss price range and your wish list.Then I would be happy to send you listings.

Regards,Carolle 973-960-8002 cell
The Princeton area has some of the top schools in the state including Princeton, Princeton Junction, West Windsor, Hopewell Twp. Its actually just over an hour commute or right at an hour if you catch an express train. I've lived in this area my whole life and I think its one of the best around (bias intended). Feel free to contact me if you want to chat more about the area.
Jeremy Robinson
Prudential Fox & Roach - Princeton
Jeremy.Robinson@prufoxroach.com
http://www.JRsellsNJ.com
Web Reference: http://www.JRsellsNJ.com