1030micmac, Home Buyer in Gainesville, FL

Hi---We are planning to house hunt in the Gainesville area....But---should we rent before we buy to make sure that we picked the right place to live??

Asked by 1030micmac, Gainesville, FL Thu Jan 31, 2013

Our financial advisor suggested we do rent first, making certain that this is where we want to live....

Any and all suggestions will be very helpful.....I do not like California at all---too much air pollution....

Answers

11
If you want to pay some one else s investment instead of your own.Not one day ever does that make sense unless you have to sell; to buy then renting may be easier.

please call my cell 352-538-7758

http://www.briancohen.com there will be silly!

Brian Cohen P.A.
Just an FYI: My husband grew up in southern California, I married him and he wanted us to move there. I went there in the 70's with him to visit family and said no to moving there because of the air quality at the time- it being so awfully horrific. It has improved over the years or I have gotten used to it... not sure which. We visit family there still.

Now for living in Florida: First things I would ask - how long do you plan to stay in the area? How secure are your jobs? If you are uncertain, then you probably should not buy a home without knowing you may loose money when you sell within a few years.

Once you determine you will stay for a while, get with a lender, determine what your monthly can be, and then look at what homes are out there, if you fall in love with one and it is a good solid home, then how can you loose? But, dont jump into a home because of the drapes, it needs a good roof, good ac, etc... Good luck.
Renting is the best course of action. Once you are in Gainesville you will be able to better understand the area and make an educated decision. The Gainesville area is diverse and accommodates many different life styles. Here you are able to live in a Condo/Apartment or in a country setting and anything in between. Truly a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

From my own experience (I came from Massachusetts a few years ago), you will do better if you give yourself a year to understand the area before you buy a new home.
Even though renting is an option, working with an experienced Realtor, somebody you feel comfortable with and trust; somebody that knows the local market and neighborhoods, buying
could be a wonderful option. Meet with your chosen realtor, get to know each other, let him/her know your needs and wants, then check out selected neighborhoods throughout Gainesville. You'll find out real quickly that you'll prefer one neighborhood over another. All that is left to do -find the right house in that neighborhood. The experience should be worry free and enjoyable!

I am familiar with and work in all areas of Gainesville and surrounding counties, and keep current with the ever-changing technical aspects of buying and selling a house in today’s demanding market. Because buyers are increasingly using the Internet to find a home, I am also ePRO certified, along with only 1% of all Realtors in the United States, which gives me an edge in conducting Internet business.

Recently I aired a Real Estate commercial on Channels CBS 4 and My 11 in Gainesville. It shows a little of why I love what I do, and how I work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLzS3yjhSz8.

Buying a home can be one of the most important decisions you make and the process can be very daunting. As your Realtor, I will use my expertise to help you find a great home, negotiate the purchase price and handle all the details to facilitate a smooth closing. I have helped many buyers, such as yourself, and look forward to working with you
i would not also the best value cxan be gotten with a very aggressive agent like my self 352-538-7756
http://www.briancohen.com super fast searches save them and your favorites making the search easier free set up your password and le me know what you like i save 25 k or more on home3 prices

24 x 7 352-538-7756 up until mn every day

Thank You,

Brian Cohen P.A.
buy so you pay your loan and not some 0ne elses
I would also advise getting a short term lease and research homes in the area while you are renting. You can go to my website http://www.nickreedrealtor.com to search for short sales, foreclosures, finance options, fanniemae properties and rentals (we have a rental company that we can get you setup into quickly). Take a quick look at my website and feel free to message me with any questions.

Nick
It really depends, prices are starting to go up and interest rates are uncertain. Gainesville is small enough that you will be able to get the feel or the lay of the land pretty quick. If not try to rent for 6 months, if possible. Let me know and I'll try get you a short term rental, if that's your comfort level.
Susan
A lot of people choose to rent first. I personally think it's an unnecessary opportunity to have to move twice!! If you find a trustworthy realtor who truly listens to what you are searching for - features of the house, what type of neighborhood, close to what ammenities, schools, etc. she (he?) should be able to match your needs/wants with a great house! Of course if it's the job or the fabulous North FL weather you aren't sure of, that's another story. Eight months of spring doesn't suit everyone! Another pitch for buying is that homes are going for such a bargain right now, and we're seeing all the signs that an up-turn is on its way. You are way less likely to be upside down on a purchase in a couple of years as you would be having bought within the past 5 years.
Hope this helps!!
Marsha Philips
Hello from Gator country (I mean Gainesville)
It is understandable to rent first.. I just helped a family find a rental but we make it a shorter one then 1 year so that if you decided to live in the Gainesville area you wouldn't be tied down with throwing your money out the window.. and with the great rates..that family got an interest rate of 2.5% interest for 15 years.... It also is important on what you want in your new place to "call home" as to water front, family things, I'd be happy to call you when it's conveneint and we can talk..my number is 855-317-7700 and my e-mail is darlene@darleneandlucky.com and we can communicate that way too...but I prefer to talk so I can get a real feel of what your wants and needs are and maybe give you other suggestions about Florida too..I've lived in this state since 1968...and I did live in California (Long Beach where i got married)...take care...Darlene Pifalo (Your Purrrfect Realtor) my website is http://www.darleneandlucky.com if you'd like to check me out more...have a super week-end...
1030MicMac,

I grew up in the area and just love it. It is correct that renting could keep you from buying a home you don't want keep but prices are beginning to climb again and you don't want to find yourself in a tight place later. Find an experienced Agent to show you the area and explain the current market conditions. Florida is a great place to live and home values have been pretty steady for awhile now.

I would love to answer any questions you have about the area, and I can certainly suggest some great Agents for you. If you choose to rent you should use an Agent to help guide you to the areas of Gainesville that fit your lifestyle. Please feel free to email me directly at THOYT@prutropical.com or check out my profile on Trulia and send me a message there.

Congratulations on the move. I am certain you will love it. No pressure sales, just help with your questions.

Respectfully,
Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty