Home Buying in Meridianville>Question Details

Moni, Home Buyer in Meridianville, AL

Hi, We are in escrow now in AL. We just found out that the home is in a flood zone and want to re-think. The realtor says AL is a non-disclosure

Asked by Moni, Meridianville, AL Sat May 8, 2010

Hi, We are in escrow now in AL. We just found out that the home is in a flood zone and want to re-think. The realtor says AL is a non-disclosurestate so the seller didnt have to tell us making our contract binding. Is there any way out? they have already cashed our deposit. (This was a forclosed home with a 2 month escrow closing end of May).

Answers

2
Ne Al Native’s answer
Where did you purchase the home (specific address might be helpful for me to let you know how I would proceed.) I might be familiar to your specific location and more details since I have some flood land located within my lot, yet the building area is restricted to the non-flood area since the flood area is not pertable meaning that no building can be located within that area since you could not have toilet/sewer and/or drainage facilities with a septic tank since the property is located outside the city within a restricted subdivision of the county where no city and/or town sewage is available.

I've lived in the area for many years and am very familiar with some areas that are more prone to flooding than others. Sometimes it is just the road, yet some locations are in serious flood areas. Even 100 year flood zones vary where they have to be re-evaluated if there are many floods and as more homes, drives, sidewalks, asphalt, streets, buildings, commercial properties and schools are built and developed there is less land area for flood waters to drain and less soil to adsorb the excess rain water. And most the time developers would just bull-doze trees and leave less foilage, vines, vegetation to adsorb the rain water. With more awareness for the environment most developers now days try to preserve large, established trees and green spaces to help with flooding and preserve the soil. drainage, vegetation, and property values.

Are you buying the property located at 101 Lexi Lane in Meridianville, AL?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
If you need to back out, your best course of action is to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, have him/her review all documentation, and see exactly what options you may have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010