Home Buying in Rochester>Question Details

Dc Mom, Home Buyer in Washington

Hi - Our son just started at RIT and we are considering purchasing a house for him to occupy while a student..

Asked by Dc Mom, Washington Sat Nov 22, 2008

...with roommates and eventually move to ourselves when we retire in a few years. Is this viable and where should we be looking that is convenient to RIT as well as someplace with character where we would enjoy living - - and, of course, affordable!

Answers

13
There is a rochester apartment listing website coming online soon. Newdigs.com
Web Reference: http://newdigs.com
Affordable and where you want to be in terms of location? Now is the time. Do you have a Realtor?
Hi DC Mom,

RIT is a great school and in a great area. I spent many days and nights working through my education there and I am certain your son will enjoy his time there as well. If, and when, you decide to buy a home, I'd love to help out by providing a through home inspection. I offer a unique on-line "live" review of the inspection results for people, such as yourself, who may not be able to attend the actual inspection. Our rates are very reasonable and I'll toss in the on-line review for free.

Thanks and good luck,
Gary Kubarycz
585.703.0369
SiteTech Home Inspections of Rochester, New York
Web Reference: http://www.SiteTech-llc.com
Dear DC MOM, I have answered this before, but just realized that I have the perfect property.. it is walking distance to RIT.. Let me know if I can help.
HI DC Mom.. I think its a GREAT idea. I have worked with a number of parents here in Rochester for their children who go to school here and also in Livingston County near SUNY Geneseo. Again.. its a great idea. As a Mom of two college students, I have already purchased a home for one son and I am currently looking for the other. The only advice that I have is to make sure your son likes the school where he is attending. Do not rush into anything while he is a Freshman. Once you purchase something and he finds roommates, no matter how good of friendsthey are, get a security deposit and make the parent also sign the lease...sometimes students don't make it thru the school year. If you have anymore questions or If I can help in any way.. let me know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 12, 2008
Hello DC Mom,

This is a terrific idea. I have just recently (one closed Monday and one later today) sold homes in that area of town. I also have another client that is looking to do the same thing in the near future for their child(ren) as one currently goes to RIT and another may go to U of R next year. There are many terrific opportunities to be had in this and neighboring areas. You would best be served talking to an agent that is active in the area and is able to help you navigate through the process. It can be complicated if you are not familiar with the process.

I would be willing to chat with you at your convienence to walk you through the search, financing, purchase offers, and the such. If you'd like to contact me ... feel free.

I wish you luck with your process.

Michael Walker
Century 21 - Premier Properties
585-645-1258 (direct)
Mike@MikeWalkerHomes.com
I attended RIT and now own a home approximately 5 miles from campus. There are many cheap options in the city ($50-90K), that would allow a student and roomates to live comfortably, have a 10-20 min commute, and have access to interesting things to do. The area known as the 19th ward across the river from UofR is one of those places.

The poster who listed something about a Park Ave apt, probably has a very nice place, but it is well on the upper end of home prices in Rochester. However the Park Ave area is extremely nice and about as fancy/artsy as you find around Rochester. It will be significantly more expensive, depending primarily on location, and will be a 15-25min commute to RIT.

The suburbs of Henrietta may be an attractive option. Homes are usually in the $80-130K range. Almost anywhere in Henrietta will be a 10min or less commute to RIT and will have convenient access to malls and shopping areas. Many homes here could be rentable, but unlike some of the homes in the city, almost all are probably well suited to a couple in retirement as well. And generally property taxes are lower in Henrietta than the surrounding areas. Good luck to your son at RIT, it can be a fast paced school depending on the major.

RIT '06 Alum
Hi DC Mom: I sold a house in Chili last year to some folks whose son attends RIT for similar reasons. You could also consider Henrietta, Wheatland, Scottsville village or Brighton. depending on your desired commute time, price range and features desired. Let me know if I can help. George Dounce
I have a bright and modern condo on Park Ave which I am looking to sell. It is close to RIT and in a very desirable neighborhood. I am walking distance to the library, YMCA, restaraunts, shops and museums. I will be offering my 2200sq/ft home for under $300,000. If you are interested you can email me at mrmaggoo44@aol.com.

Michael
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2008
Hello there Dc. Mom,
My wife and I are agents here in the area and have helped quite a few people that were in your exact situation. Mostly we handle incoming student to the University of Rochester, but with all of the students and schools here we have helped a few others as well.

We can make the entire process a whole lot easier on you by setting up all of the appointments for you and educating you on the area while you are here. We understand the need to maximize the time that you spend here so you don't feel as though your wheels are spinning. We will make sure that when you arive, everything is all set up for you. From a distance, purchasing a home can be a bit stressfull for some. We will show you that we will be here for you and your son throughout the process and well after the purchase is complete.

I would love the opportunity to chat with you about this. If you would like I can certainly get you a few references from some of my out of town buyers.

We have a great time doing what we do and love to help other people enjoy it as well.

Please feel free to contact us at anytime, even your curiosities are reason to call. We'll make the time.

Sincerly,
Leif Mermagen
LSP for Nothnagle Realtors
Leif@nothnagle.com
585-576-9406
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2008
This is a very popular investment and has been for years. I have an investment property in Rochester myself and if you contact me off line at Gail@GailGladstone.com, I will be happy to recommend the Realtor who has been so helpful to me, not only in buying and selling, but also in property management.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com