Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

ramya, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Hi, I was looking to get opinions on buying a house in the Glenmoor area in Fremont.

Asked by ramya, Fremont, CA Mon Jul 28, 2014

My initial take on Glenmoor is that the community is family friendly and close-knit sort of like San Carlos in the Peninsula. This is the first time we are looking to buy in East Bay, so far we were looking in Peninsula (where I work) and got priced out. Any thoughts on safety? People have stories about burglaries in Fremont but that seems like random comments more than real data. Is the area good for a family with little kids? Thoughts? Thanks!

Answers

3
Hello Ramya,

People can always tell you statistics/etc, but what will really help you decide whether the area is right for you is for you and your family to check out the Glenmoor area yourselves. I encourage you to visit the neighborhood and community both during the day and later in the evening to see what it is like. It is the only way you will feel comfortable in ANY AREA - you must first know firsthand what the area is like. If I were buying a home, I would also check out the area on a weekday/weeknight and also on the weekend during the day and at night.

I would also maybe ask a couple neighbors some questions; you can always tell more information from the people who live there than from people who "hear" things about an area.

Further, many police websites or crime report websites have information on how frequently a crime was reported in an area and maybe even what kind of crime it was.

I know buying a home can be a long process, but if I can be of assistance to make it easier or smoother for you and your family, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Either way, best of luck to you and your family.

Best wishes,

Huey Nguyen
Realtor | Over 10 years of experience!
408-219-9776
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2014
If you want a comparison that might help, you can see how Glenmoor stacks up by going to spotcrime.com. Unfortunately, burglaries I would say are fairly common here in Fremont. We are surrounded by two freeways, dual-earning parents (home empty during the day), poor folks from East Palo Alto and East Bay are attracted to the 'goodies' in our homes.

An alarm system, locked gates, deadbolts, video camera, and secured sliding doors will keep most of these ***holes away and they will find easier targets. Oh, yes a family dog is another great prevention technique.

A little sad but this is the society in which we live.
Regarding crime. There is a website http://www.CrimeReports.com you can check homes by address. Even the most desirable neighborhoods have burglaries.

I suggest buyers knock on neighbors doors to ask their opinion, visit the local retail stores and ask the employees, and visit the neighborhood at all hours of the day, night, weekends, and plan to test drive your own commute both ways. Are there dogs barking? Loud music? Street lights shining in the window? Noise from schools? Smells from restaurants?

What is important to you may not be important to the next. Your perspective is personal so I suggest that in any neighborhood you do your own investigation.

Are school scores desirable to you? I subscribe to a program where homes are pulled by schools API.