carivillas, Home Buyer in Tempe, AZ

Hi. I was in the process of applying for a loan for a home, I paid the appraisal fee, however withdrew prior to the appraisal being done?

Asked by carivillas, Tempe, AZ Wed Apr 10, 2013

may I be eligible for a refund if the appraisal was not done and how would I be able to proceed for the refund as the mortgage broker does not seem to be to content and non-responsive to my e-mails.

Answers

5
Did you speak with your Realtor about this or call the loan officer's supervisor so that you can get your questions answered?
Hi Carivillas:

As mentioned, if the appraisal was not done, you should be entitled to some refund. There may be a fee, sort of like a re-stocking fee at stores, for the paperwork the appraiser did in preparing to do the appraisal.

I would contact the owner of the mortgage company you were dealing with and see what they say. If you do not get satisfaction that way, I would let them know you are going to file a complaint with the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions and then do so.

Best of luck.
Carivillas,

In the normal order of things your appraisal should be ordered after you agree to move forward after the inspection period...? I would need more info to advise you correctly...if you have an agent, they should be able to contact the lender and you should be able to get a refund for services not rendered. Of course this would depend on the lenders normal practice ie. there is no stipulation that once appraisal is ordered there is no refund...that would not be a normal situation...if you can provide more information you should be able to get an accurate response to your question!

http://www.jeremyjamesjack.com
Hello Carivillas. This sounds like an interesting situation but I'm a bit confused about the order of things.

You said that "...you're in the process of applying for a loan for a home..." and that you already "paid an appraisal fee". Did you find a house and have an accepted offer?

Typically you get approved for a loan from either a bank or loan officer at a mortgage company by providing them financial information (bank statements, proof of income, tax returns, credit report, etc), THEN you find a home, MAKE an offer, GET it accepted, THEN order the appraisal.

Is this what's happened?

Did you cancel your offer (if you had an accepted contract) IN WRITING and notify the seller and ALL PARTIES (including the title company AND your mortgage broker) prior to the appraisal being ordered?

If you're not working with a real estate agent, you should post a bit more info here on Trulia for the agents to assist you. IF you have a real estate agent assisting you in finding a home, then I would strongly recommend you consult him/her. I would also call the mortgage broker's office and ask for a manager to discuss the situation. I can't imagine that they would NOT refund you the appraisal fee as long as the appraiser didn't start the appraisal process.

Please post a little more details so your question can be answered more thoroughly.

Thanks!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group
Jim@TheAZRealtor.com
PH: 480.231.6769
It sounds like you are trying to do this yourself?
Why would you do that when a Buyer's Agent is free to you?
Why would you withdraw your Offer?
Did you have Contingengies?
We would have to see the wording of your Contract.
The purchase of this home comes from a divorce agreement, which does not require a broker. The fact of the matter is that, prior to finalizing everything, I was required to attend a First Home Buyers Class, where I learned the many loan options in my state and come to find out I am eligible for a better loan (of that what the loan broker was offering) & when I questioned my mortgage broker she stated the loans has many restrictions and did not go further in detail. However I did my own research and I was informed that her bank is not able to offer the loan in question. For this reason only, I decided not to continue with this bank,however I had already paid the appraisal fee, however did not have the appraisal performed?
Flag Wed Apr 10, 2013