Sarah, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, OH

Hi, I recently starting looking into homes in Paterson. I am from Brooklyn, NY, and don't mind a little bit

Asked by Sarah, Brooklyn, OH Mon Dec 22, 2008

of a bustle. I was thinking of purchasing something in the 07522 zip code, particularly N5th Street. (Right near Haledon border) I have three little boys who will be going to school in Paterson. The schools had some very awful reviews. Is this a safe area?

Answers

9
Sarah, I am a resident of Paterson for 15 Years and a Realtor. Paterson is a great Place to LIve. Yesit is the third largest city in the State and it certainly does have many of the same issues that any urban city has in this country. The school system is run by the state and a new School Superitendent is in place as of May 1 and based on what I have read I think Paterson School Children are in for some good changes. I would love to hear from you if you have any questions.
PS I live in Eastside Park.
PS I live in Eastside Park.
Hi Sarah:

I moved here from the city and I see a lot of growth in the forecast for Paterson, especially now that the Great Falls is going to become a national park. The East Side Historic Disctrict is very nice, so is the Manor section. Both of these areas are near Fairlawn. They are also home to the Great Falls Performing Arts Center, which should result in even more growth for this section.

Apart from a few select wards crime in Paterson is minimal. It has a bad rap amongst most suburban New Jersians. I suspect that has something to do with a general lack of familiarity with urban areas. What you or I would likely refer to as hustle and bustle sends many New Jersians running. Honestly, for that reason, I find Paterson to be a bit of a reprieve.
Sarah,

I would not recommand buying a house in Paterson, Nj especially if you are raising a family. I go to to paterson almost everyday and I wouldnt buy a house there and especially at current prices. I have tons of family members that live there and i know they would do anything to get out of p-town if they can afford to.

Best of luck!

JK-
Hi Sarah,

Your question may seem simple enough to answer but in a public forum like this, your question can be best answered by people who are not real estate professionals. You see, we as professionals have to follow an objective view on answering questions. The question of the neighborhood being safe should be simple enough for anyone who knows the area to answer. Unfortunately, in this public forum, where real estate agents have to be careful not to infringe on "ethical" boundaries as directed by the Code of Ethics that we must follow, we must say that safety depends on your level of tolerance for security and safety.

If you are basing your search on public safety reports as found on sites like this one or Realtor.com and similar sites, my advise to you, if you were my client, would be to weigh heavily on these reports if this is your only option. These reports are available to you as a public service for specific reasons and often based on public surveys and public records found in municipal offices.

However, if you can find the time, visit these areas on the weekend when there is neighborhood activity. Visit the municipal complex if you can during the weekday and ask for your own copy of the local criminal report and don't be afraid to talk to the locals (people who own businesses like grocery stores, shops, restaurants, etc.).

And finally, try and develop a relationship with a real estate office or agent that you feel comfortable with and believe is being honest in answering your questions and is not just interested in selling you a home because they have to meet a quota. This will probably be the most challenging.

You have three little boys whose futures depend on you taking the time to do some homework to qualify the place you commit to in the long run.

All the best of luck.

Carmelo Torres
A HOME FOR SALE REALTY
Providing Services in North Jersey
Email: http://contact.ahfsr.com
Web Reference: http://www.ahfsr.com
By the Way, the zip code for Hillcrest section of Paterson is 07502. Happy home hunting!
I am a former homeowner (14yrs) in the Hillcrest section of Paterson. I just sold my home due to job relocation earlier this month. I raised 4 children in this area and highly recommend it as safe and family friendly. PS 27 is one of the best schools in Paterson and there is a parochial school nearby on Chamberlain Ave. The neighborhood children are free to walk home, ride bikes, etc in a safe environment of mainly single family middle class homes. The area is diverse and the residents are involved in the community. A few years ago, many families were priced out of the area, but as real estate prices fall, the area has become more affordable. The main bus line to downton Paterson and Willowbrook Mall run through Union Ave in Hillcrest. It's not a bustling area and great for children.
I'd suggest you look into the South Paterson (07503) neighborhood or the Totowa section of Paterson. I am an attorney with offices in Paterson and these are areas have properties with a lot of bang for your buck and the crime rate may be somewhat or substantially lower than others in the city.

*Please note that this is general information only, and not to be construed as legal advice, if you would like a consultation please feel free to call and make an appointment"
Law Offices of Chang & Scolavino, LLC
Paterson and Freehold, New Jersey
973.925.2525
"Criminal, Real Estate, Litigation and Immigration Law"
"Somos abogados hispanos y entendemos sus problemas"
Hi Sarah,

Paterson is a pretty large city with over 150,000 residents and a rich history as one of America's first industrial centers. That said, the Paterson housing market is going through a rough patch at the moment. Due to its diversity in housing and population there are definite differences from one neighborhood to another and single family housing versus multifamily housing.

School reviews do give an important gauge of how desirable a neighborhood is, but do differ on who is doing the testing and what age groups you are looking at. Safety is another issue altogether and views on what is acceptable and safe differ from one person to another.

In other words, for the search and purchase itself you need the help of a realtor/sales associate who knows the local area well. But most important are your impressions of the area and there really is no substitute for visiting the area yourself.

Feel free to call me if you have any further questions.

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser/RE Sales Associate
Vollenberg Appraisers/ERA Statewide Realty
Vollenberg@iname.com
Cell (570) 204-9125