Home Buying in Mansfield>Question Details

Smr, Home Buyer in Easton, MA

Hi, I need input in deciding between Mansfield and Easton. we have decided for now to buy something inthese

Asked by Smr, Easton, MA Sat Aug 16, 2008

two towns keeping the schools, and commute to either directions Boston (back bay) and newbedford. Not able to decide between Easton and Mansfield as Esaton has better schools, and mansfield has the train station though the schools lag a bit behind ( Please correct me if I am wrong). Any ideas as to when is the easton train line going to be functional? Easton is most spreaded so which side of it (east or west) has good schools. I like the Mansfield schools system which functions irrespective of the school city. What are the price differences of homes between these two cities? Lot of concerns- cost of living, city property taxes, cost of education (2 toddlers) etc.

Thanks & cheers.

Answers

4
I moved to Mansfield and have been regretting it ever since.

Mansfield selectmen are always bemoaning the fact that the town has too many children in it. They do not want to attract that demographic to Mansfield.

Its only caveat is that it is easy to get from anywhere from Mansfield. So, nothing but a commuter town. Always traveling to other towns for food, entertainment and family-friendly activities.

The rail line through Mansfield may not be as rough as a Stoughton line.
I am biased as I am a Mansfield resident. I have a 2 yo son so not in school yet but friends and neighbors really like it. We live in West Mansfield and really enjoy it. I wish we were a little closer to Rt 140 as I do commute to Boston every day for work. But on our end it is spacious, quiet and close to Plainville with lots of stores and Restaurants as well as close to the Emerals Square Mall.
Easton: In the last year the average price for single families was $392,637. 146 homes sold with an average of 117 days on market. The average sale price to original price discount on single family homes is 8%.

Mansfield:In the last year the average price for single families was $387,924. 118 homes sold with an average of 118 days on the market. The average sale price to original price discount on single family home is 8%

This data shows the markets to be fairly similar in terms of single family demand and average values.

Choosing school systems is a very personal decision so I would advise you to check out websites such as http://www.greatschools.net/ and http://www.yelp.com to see how people living in those areas rate the school systems.

I hope this helps get your started.
You should visit greatschools.com or schoolmatters.com as well as the states massgov.org. Unfortunately all school districts are having budget problems and are working at being very creative. Both communities you are considering are very good and when the market turns around you will see that they will appreciate well. Both offer great proximity to the highway and train for access to both Boston and Providence. If I can assist you, please do call me.

Jean Curley