Peachez Gates, Home Buyer in Memphis, TN

Hi, I'm looking at a house in the Depot Planning District, area code 38104. Does anyone know if that's a good neighborhood or not?

Asked by Peachez Gates, Memphis, TN Thu Feb 14, 2013

Hey Peachez, 38104 is considered Mid Town and typically holds it value very well! Most people that live there absolutely love it! Wonderful things are happening in that area and I would say depending on which home, you could possibly be making a Great Real Estate Investment and for sure a good lifestyle investment, especially if you are currently renting. You can "own" most of the time for way less than you can rent for, saving you a lot of money. So stop throwing any money down the drain and invest in homeownership. I am here and able to help you every step of the way! Just give me a shout at 901.461.7216!
Maggie Armstrong
Thanks so much Maggie!! My husband and I have decided to definitely buy in this area. I really appreciate your feedback!
Flag Fri Feb 15, 2013
Hi, Peachez. A realtor will give the spiel that they all do about owning a home, regardless of the neighborhood. I have lived in the Humes Heights neighborhood in the Depot Planning District for 31 years and raised my children here. This is an area of mostly nice, smaller homes next to the beautiful Chickasaw Gardens and lake. It is convenient to Downtown, Midtown and East Memphis. The neighbors are friendly. The downside is that this area lies between two high-crime areas and we get a lot of traffic on foot and in cars from both areas and we have a lot of crime, including numerous home invasions and robberies. There is a lot of noise from trains, depending on what street you live on, and also we are on the flight path of the airport and FedEx, whose plains begin takeoff at 10:00 nightly and go for hours. We get some undesirable traffic, esp. at the north end of Humes, most weekend nights from the Senses nightclub. My home has lost a lot of value over the last five years, as have most homes.
Some areas are really nice and others are questionable.....Midtown is a lovely area but, it is an area where there are enclaves of expensive homes, enclaves of mid range homes, nice areas, and some areas that are scarey...You have to know someone that knows the area or go look...My realtor is Lewis Marshall with Crye=Lyke.....he has been great to show me the areas and help me get a feel.....good luck