T.Y., Renter in 10128

Hi,I have saved about $75,000. My yearly salary is $60,000. I am looking to buy a one-bedroom apt. in the city particular in east side of the island.

Asked by T.Y., 10128 Wed May 11, 2011

I have saved about $75,000. My yearly salary is $60,000. I am looking to buy a one-bedroom apt. in the city particular in east side of the island. Is it possible? And what is the price range I should be looking at?

Thanks and Regards.

Answers

13
It's a little late for anyone to "offer help" to this poster............. as he asked this question back in May, 2011!!!!!!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi, If you want to stay on Manhattan, you might want to look at sponsor units. Manhattan can be tough to qualify for Co-ops. The standard is 20% down with 1-2 years reserve Mortgage and Maintenance after closing. A sponsor unit doesn't need to go through board approval and that may help you qualify. You do qualify for a studio with 10% down, but they are hard to find. Speaking with a good Manhattan Mortgage professional can put you on the best track to get you into your own apartment! I am very excited for you and wish you the best of luck!
this question was asked way back in May, 2011!!! If you look under the question, you will see the date it was posted. It's a little late to help this person!
Flag Thu Jun 13, 2013
The first thing you should do is to get pre-approved by any bank of your choice, that will give you a firm amount that you as the buyer can work with. Best options base on your salary and down payment will be a Co-op in Queens or a Co-op in Pelham Westchester. Keep in mind taxes and maintenance fees in some areas are higher than in others. Good luck with your search.
If you want to live in the city and enjoy it, then you need to make $125,000, look in to Queens, you will live better with your income
A one bedroom in the Upper East Side would be a bit of a stretch given your current income. You definitely have the money for a down payment (which should be around 20% given today's lending standards), and have proof of solid financials. Seeing your thrift, I assume you have great credit, so you shouldn't be worried about that at all.

Having a yearly salary 40 times your monthly mortgage is a good gauge of what you can afford. In your case, you can afford a mortgage of around $1500 per month. Once again, bit of a stretch for a one bedroom. I agree with the others, a studio or alcove co-op is your best bet, but board approval can be difficult. Maintenance fees are partially tax deductible, which can help you save money in the long-run vs. renting.

In short, definitely possible to buy a studio in the Upper East Side, it just may take some work finding the right apartment for you. Call me at 561-909-7019 if you have any further questions. I'd love to help in any way I can.
Sure its possible, if you need help with financing I would be more than happy to help !

I am thinking they might request 20% down payment, this can be confirmed with a phone call or two.

Kieran Rodgers, Mortgage Banker
The Federal Savings Bank I 560 Broadhollow Road I Melville, NY 11747 I USA
direct: (631) 316-7272
fax: (646) 564-9421
email: krodgers@thefederalsavingsbank.com
web: http://www.thefederalsavingsbank.com/kieranrodgers
NMLS# 172254
Hi!

Don't know if you're still thinking about this, since you posted your question a while ago, but yes, it is absolutely possible, and in fact, based on your salary and the fact that it would qualify you for most income-restricted apartments, the short answer is that you'd be nuts not to think about buying now!

I live in Central/East Harlem. My best friend and I moved to Harlem at about the same time a few years ago, and she got a 2-br apartment with a balcony for $200K. The location is tremendously convenient; she and I are both halfway between the 2/3 and the 4/5/6 trains (as well as the Metro North), so it makes it super easy to get to pretty much any part of the city. A couple blocks past the 2/3 is the A/B/C/D train, which offers even more options.

I would strongly recommend buying for you, and would be happy to run a search for you if you'd like to look around at what's available.

Let me know if I can help!

-Kate-
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
$1400 is the top end of what a lending institution would allow you to carry as a mortgage, assuming you have very good credit, the $1400 would cover a $210,000 30 year mortgage, your $75,000 down payment (26.3%) should enable you to purchase a $285,000 apartment.
My contact info julian@citysolutions.com
Whether you can purchase is subject to a number of formuli- from the banks and from the coop board where you purchase. Your budget would likely not be enough to cover the purchase of a condo.

Passing a coop board will normally require after-closing-cost liquidity, and commonly, within a range of 2 yr's maintenance and mortgage to 1 yr's maintenance and mortgage. For argument's sake, if that were $1,466 per month (combined), you'd need about $18,000 to $36,000 left over after your 20% (likely) down payment plus closing fees.

Additionally, they will typically like to see that your monthly housing expense does not exceed 25 to 28% of your total annual income. Based on your salary, the maintenance and mortgage expense that you could afford would need to be at $1,466 or less. (There was a method to my madness in the carrying charges I indicated above.) Let's say your maintenance is $600 per month, your mortgage would need to be $866 or less which is unlikely if you are purchasing a one bedroom apartment on the Upper Eastside.

The solution for you may be purchsing a sponsor unit in which no board approval is needed. Sponsor units will ask you to pay for seller closing costs which include transfer tax. Keep in mind that doing so is negotiable, and at your price point, the state tranfer tax is roughly 1% of your purchase price + a tiny bit for the city.

So in summary, for your budget, it's more likely that your financials will work in purchasing a studio, perhaps with an alcove that could be converted or separated for privacy. You'll likely to need a sponsor unit and will probably be able to find one at about $280K.

Once you contact a lender or mortgage broker, they will let you know the specific amount of loan you will qualify for. Armed with a pre-approval, you'll be in a better position to determine your options.

If you'd like the names of some good lenders who could help you through this process, and certainly if you'd like to secure help to navigate the marketplace and locate what you need, I'm happy to assist.

Joyce Mincheff
Associate Broker, VP, Corcoran
917-517-8572
TY,
The first step is to get pre-approved by a lender. This will give you an idea of what bank is willing to lend you based upon a variety of factors. It will give you an idea of the purchase price as well. Also bear in mind that co-ops have very different standards than the banks in terms of debt to income ratio as well as liquid assets after closing. The most important thing is to make sure you work with a skilled, experienced agent to guide you through the process.
TY,

I also live in the 10128 and know the area very well.

The answer to your question depends on the down payment and you ability to temporarily acquire assets. If you're looking at a 20% down building, you can buy up to $375K or $300K with 25% down.
Keep in mind, you will most likely be looking at a co-op and co-ops want to see assets left over after closing. Boards would also like to see a dept to income ratio of no more then 28% after closing.

What I would do first, is contact a mortgage professional and see how big of a loan you can qualify for and go from there.

Feel free to contact me with further questions and I will be happy to work with you or point you in the right direction.

Eugene Kopman
Associate Broker
BOND New York
646-39-RE-NYC (646-397-3692)
eugene@bondnewyork.com
You look that you are a good candidate to buy an apartment in New York City East Side of the Island. Your having saves that amount means a lot to yourself as well as a financial institution. Details has to be discussed once you have identified a property that you like and its location. Please let me know if you would like me to help you. Regards.
Your down payment is enough for an apartment around $300k, your annual salary is enough to cover the payments on about the same. You should speak with a mortgage lender and try to get pre-qualified. For the budget you have, there aren't very many one-bedrooms in that range so it may take you a while to find one that pleases you, which works in your favor, it allows you to build a little bigger financial buffer. I'd be happy to show you a few apartments to get you started.

Sami
917-767-7248