Laurette.Lyn…, Home Buyer in Huntington, NY

Hi! I am considering purchasing a home in Huntington (Village area). Is it legal to rent an apartment if the home is owner occupied? Thank you.

Asked by Laurette.Lynch, Huntington, NY Thu Jan 16, 2014

Answers

6
For accurate information check with the town http://www.huntingtonny.gov/
My pleasure; all the best to you!
Flag Sun Jan 19, 2014
Thank you for the information.
Flag Sat Jan 18, 2014
Thank you for the information.
Flag Sat Jan 18, 2014
Laurette, if you're purchasing a house that you'll live in and want to rent out an apartment or part of the house, it may or may not be legal. The house would need to have an accessorie apartment permit or it would need to be a 2 family house, for it to be a legal rental with the town.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
One more thing.

If you are concerned about mortgage finding out or insurance company, that Is something else. When the owners were buying the home, the "assumption" was that the person was going to live there. But time passes and things change.

If it's a one family, the insurance has to be changed to rental insurance, and the mortgage company will not care one way or another as long as the mortgage gets paid every month on time.

That is my best opinion, but only an opinion, since there might be more info that I am not aware of.

Good Luck!!!

Thank you for your valuable time!

Oleg Volfman, CBR, RSSP
Lic. RE Associate, Office Manager
Quick Deal Realty, Inc
134 Merrick Rd
Lynbrook, NY 11563
Office 516-599-5559
Mobile 917-685-0489
ovolfman@yahoo.com
Hello Laurette.Lynch.

To answer your question, depends on how many apartments are in the house. If it is a multifamily house, than one apartment is owner occupied and another could be for you. If it Is a one family than the answer is no.

For further help, please contact me at info below.

Thank you for your valuable time!

Oleg Volfman, CBR, RSSP
Lic. RE Associate, Office Manager
Quick Deal Realty, Inc
134 Merrick Rd
Lynbrook, NY 11563
Office 516-599-5559
Mobile 917-685-0489
ovolfman@yahoo.com
I live and work in Huntington, so please disregard the well meaning but inacurate advice below. Huntington allows what are called "Accessory Apartments". These are legal apartments within owner occupied homes. You do need to apply for a permit and there are regulations that apply. Please let me know if you need further information.

Tom Moser
Keystone Realty USA

http://KeystoneLongIsand.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 16, 2014

Tom Moser
Keystone Realty USA

http://KeystoneLongIsand.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 16, 2014