Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Sean, Home Buyer in Rep Of Ireland

Hi All, i'm intersted in Buying in the NY area, I have deposit etc, so just wondering whats involved in

Asked by Sean, Rep Of Ireland Fri May 30, 2008

the process. I'm european (irish), so i'm not familer with the set up here in NYC,

If anyone can point me towards a good realtor and / or laywer / agency it would be great,

Answers

15
If you haven't done so yet, visit with any qualified loan officer(s) first, see exactly what your budget can handle and ask for a mortgage pre-qualification/approval letter--you will need one when making offers--Depending on your area of interest there are many good agents to choose from--interview a few different agents and choose the one you like best--choose your agent with care.
HI,

Seems like you have had your question answered, I might add that if you are not buying all cash, You should get pre approved which is free of charge. If you are a non perminant resident you will neeed to follow the 2+2+2 rule, 2 years credit, 2 employment, 2 years residence. call me for further detail I am a mortgage specialist with united northern mortgage bankers located at 3601 levittown ny 11756 my cell is 516-233-4842 email vaiossa@unitednorthern.com i work out of the corporate office in long Island
Hey Sean,

You might consider going about it a different way and starting by doing a search for the kind of community you would like to live in, like this one: http://bit.ly/ammUiH ; or by looking at this helpful NY quality of life "Livability Calculator" offered by New York Magazine as a result of a survey of NYC neighborhoods http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65355/ .

Once you find the suburb, town, village or neighborhood you might like to live in, then you can focus on finding an agent that knows the area well.
First you have to determine whether you plan on living here full time, if not a condo would be your best bet.
Second you need to be pre-approved for financing and know what your purchase and monthly expenses budget is. You do not mention if you are employed in the US or if you have credit established her and/or in the UK.
As an Irish citizen there may be rules and ramifications that may apply to you and that is best addressed in a meeting with a licensed NYC broker or agent. I hope this helps answer some of your concerns! Good luck!
Jolie Muss
Licensed Real Estate Broker & Brokerage
Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10023
Office: 212 721-3301 Email: jolie@joliemuss.com
Website: http://joliemuss.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jojomuss
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/joliemuss
Blog: http://joliemuss.posterous.com
Web Reference: http://joliemuss.com
The best way to find a decent agent to work with you is to do a search based on the criteria you are looking for in location and price, then see who has those listings...go through them and see which match your needs the best--you will probably find a few agents who have a number of exclusives in the area you seek. If you call and it is obvious those were bait and switch listings...move right along to another agent. Also visit a few open houses in the area, meet them face to face, you will find one you click with.

And as a reminder this area of Trulia is where we give freely of our advice, NOT where we promote ourselves or offer our services. Per Trulia Community Guidelines:

1. Don't spam As used herein, spam includes any of the following:
Advertising: Do not post blogs, questions or answers for the purpose of promoting your services, business, website or individual listings*.
*Blog posts about individual listings are permitted so long as they are formatted as complete articles that have a beginning, middle, and end.
I am an attorney (25 years experience) and licensed real estate broker based in New York City. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have or offer guidance 646-714-2720
Hi Sean,
I'm British in America and have bought and sold real estate on both sides of the pond. You will need either a bi-lingual agent or a bi-lingual solicitor who understands the difference in the terminology. For example, a surveyor is not the same thing at all here, and there are other very important differences in the process. Contracts here are very diffferent, and the completion date can be very flexible, a month later than planned and in some instances longer.

I would be more than happy to assist, but not sure if you are interested in my area, which is on the North Fork of Long island, Wine Country. It's a great place for a second home, and an easy place to reach from NYC (Hampton Jitney). You wouldn't get much here for $200K, but happy to look for you and call me regardless if you would like a chat on 631-252-5653.

Joanna
Hi Sean
Your request brings up more questions than answers, although the answers I've seen so far are correct. What any of us as agents need to know is what your intentions and requirements are. Is this going to be an investment property for you? Are you relocating to the US or just want to take advantage of the strong Euro? Are you looking for an apartment, condo, co-op or a house? What other locations are you willing to look at? I ask this because you indicated that you are looking for a price of approximately $200,000(or is it 200,000 euros= +/- $300,000). Either amount will not get you much in nyc or long island. That price range will probably get you a 1 bedroom condo or co-op in the boro's outside of manhattan or on long island. If you are willing to purchase further away from nyc you have a much better chance. But once again unless the agent knows your intention it is difficult to give you an answer here. Any of us have the ability to refer you to an agent/office anywhere in the world. We are also able to find you a mortgage and an attorney. If you want to know more we can discuss that. You can reach me at allen.bauman@gmail.com. Good Luck and may the wind always be at your back----Allen
Sean,

I work on Long Island, but my brother is an agent in New York City. I would be happy to introduce you to him, and he would be able to help you with other recommendations as well. If you are interested, you can reach me at 631-357-2036 or via e-mail at Adam@AdamWaldman.com. Thank you.

Adam Waldman
RE/MAX Best
631-357-2036
Hi Gail, i've emailed you a couple of times but got no reply, maybe i've the wrong address for you?

Regards
Sean, once you team up with a local Realtor, they will be able to assist you through the entire process. Most Realtors have a referral base for everyone that you will need. You can get pre-qualified for the loan over the phone, and then begin your search. Best of luck on your endeavor.
Depending upon the area of NYC you are interested in, I would be happy to refer you to a good Realtor. I can also provide an attorney referral and a good mortgage broker. Please contact me off line. Gail@GailGladstone.com.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
hi, i was considering the greater Nyc area, or queens, lic, nj etc, or indeed anywhere update as long as the rail network etc was good.

Have been looking at someplaces online for around $200k, but not sure what kind of place that will get me.

Can anyone please advise me of the process of getting a mortgage approved in NYC, and maybe a good laywer for the legal / tax side of things?

Thanks & Regards

Sean
It depends on what you consider to be the New York Area. If you are looking in the immediate Metropolitan area your best bet is to seek out licensed buyer's agents. They would work the hardest on your behalf as you would be their client, not their customer. Ask for the difference. Also, if you know of anyone who has recently bought in the Metropolitan area, referrals are a great way of getting a dedicated agent. If you want to extend out into the suburbs, you can start your search on realtor.com. The farther upstate from the city you go, the less expensive the house and the taxes. New Jersey is also very close to NYC and the similar rules apply. The first thing you need to do is write a list of your wants and needs to see if these fit into you price range. These qualifications then can be used to narrow your search. Good luck in this venture. It can be tremendous fun, just be patient. If there are any other questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to contact me again.
Web Reference: http://www.ferrisre.com
Hi Sean

Welcome to New York!

I am a Realtor with Exit Realty Services in New Paltz NY.

I would certainly be happy to assist with your endeaver. Please contact me offline.