Sean, Other/Just Looking in Decatur Where its Gr...

Hey Everyone, The Home buying process is really murky for me. I have a specific neighborhood that I want to

Asked by Sean, Decatur Where its Greater Sun Feb 17, 2008

get a house in mind. The prices range from 100-270K ON THE SAME STREET! I am new to the homebuying process and I really dont want to step on a landmine. Is there a realtor in the Decatur Area that can help a first time buyer that is committed but may require some extra attention since this is my first time?

Answers

12
Hi Sean... great question! I've lived in Oakhurst (a small neighborhood in Decatur) for the past 6 years and it really is amazing how the home prices can differ. I could discuss this topic for hours, but I'll just give you my two cents...

* Usually the renovated Craftsman bungalows carry the highest price... unless the renovator didn't restore the home with period charm and the modern kitchen
* New construction can also be quite expensive, but if the builder added vinyl windows (instead of wood), a "Home Depot" door (instead of the Classic Bungalow door) and neglected adding some character and charm, the price is quite a bit less
* Homes that were built in the 1940s or 1950s usually don't sell for quite as much as a 1920s or 1930s bungalow -- I would guess that it is because the ceilings are at least a foot lower, the bedrooms are smaller, and there are ofter fewer windows

If you have ANY questions about the neighborhood, please don't hesitate to call me at 404.432.1844.

Kerry Lucasse
email - kerrylucasse@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.inOAKHURSTga.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 16, 2008
Sean - I will not bore you with my accomplishments and credentials as these are all found on my web site http://www.edfrancell.prudentialga.com - I know Decatur in and out and can help you navigate the process. I suggest you interview three agents, including me, and then choose one.

Ed Francell
770-633-7576
Prudential Georgia Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 13, 2008
Hey Sean:
Decatur is great place to live, my daughter adores Decatur. We lived there for 20 yrs, she attended Decatur schools and GA State Univ. You have the best of both worlds, city and suburban area. The summer is great because there are lots of festivals and the city is buzzing. There are many restaurants and places to play. Decatur is also close to downtown Atlanta. If you do not have a real estate agent, please get one!!! RE agents can be a great source of information to help you reach your goal...your home is the biggest investment you will make. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me at 678-428-9828.
Zaritza Sanchez-Harris
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
Tucker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
By the way Sean, I live in Decatur and my friend/agent lives in near Downtown Decatur. She's awesome.....Janice Yates. You can look her up (don't know her number offhand).
I am looking in the same area and what you are experiencing is likely school district lines. The cheap side is outside the City of Decatur. Your money is safest inside the school district, as they seem to stay in high demand despite the trends of surrounding markets. I have kids and am determined to stay in the City of Decatur and am willing to take less house per dollar as a result.
Sean,

Please forgive me for the delay in responding to you, but I have been busy working with my first time home buyers. You see, they called because there was interest in the many down payment assistance programs and other resources for first time home buyers that were found at the link below. I'd love to work with you too. Please read over these resources including the Georgia Neighborhood Stabilization Program, $14,000 to buy a foreclosure, and down payment assistance in Dekalb County and then call me when tim permits at (678) 775-2677.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Solomon Greene
REALTOR® / HUD-Certified Affordable Housing Counselor - Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
Sean - I specialize in the Decatur area AND in helping first time buyers. I would like to discuss this with you in person or on the phone.

Please call me, and also check out my web site below - 770-633-7576

Ed Francell
Prudential Georgia Realty
Hi Sean,

I know you will love the convenience of Decatur. My office is located in downtown Decatur and it is one of my specialty areas. I have 20 years experience in the business.
There is no greater satisfaction for me as an agent than helping a first time buyer find their first home. I will be happy to furnish you with references of first time buyers that I have worked with over the past year.
From our first get acquainted (fact finding) meeting to closing and beyond, my goal is to help you become acquainted with the process so you can make educated decisions about buying. My team of tried and true preferred professionals will assist with other aspects of the deal, such as financing, inspections and closing. My service is "all about you" and I am ready to get started when you are!
Joyce
Sean,

I work with a lot of first time home buyers, it has actually become my specialty. I just love the excitement that goes with buying a home for the first time. I am not from Decatur but I put a lot of my clients through the NACA program which is located on Clairmont Street. So I spend a good amount of time in that area going to all my clients meetings and so on.

And like said earlier, any good agent will be able to walk you through the home buying process.

I can also say that there are a lot of great agents here on Trulia, so you will be on good hands either way.

Please visit my website where you will find all my contact information.

Have a great night!

Diane
Sean,

Abosultely! The best buyers are first time home buyers. I'd love to help you navigate the process, breakdown the market and help you develop a strategy.

There's a lot of agents on here that would love to do the same!

Price differentials are fine, depending on the historical trends as well as what the owners have done to the homes. The goal is to understand the "WHY" of the price differences.
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Hi Sean. This coming Saturday there will be a first time buyer seminar at RE/MAX Around Atlanta in Duluth. You can gather a multitude of worthwhile information about the home buying process. We will be starting at 10:00AM. Let me know if you can work it into your schedule.

Mack Perry 770-318-2572
Any good agent should be able to walk you through the home buying process. Realtor usually understand that first timers need lots of hand holding. It's to be expected.

Good luck and I hope you find you new home soon!
Web Reference: http://www.Kathy-Carter.com