Home Buying in Natick>Question Details

Deb, Home Buyer in 01757

Help with making decision to buy based on geographical location

Asked by Deb, 01757 Mon Jan 14, 2008

If we had to choose on a home: A. 2000sqft w. 1 acre in sturbridge, at the very top of our budget vs. B. a 1100sq.ft home with very smallbackyard in Natick, about $80,000 cheaper...what would be the wisest? What would resell better? we are sort of familiar with the Natick region and find it so so, but friends are saying it is a high demand area. House "A" would be a house we would never outgrow, but on the other hand, life happens and change (job etc) can happen, and if it would not resell because sturbridge is in the middle of "nowhere"....then would house "B" be best?

Answers

4
Based on current market conditions, a home in Natick would be easier to sell, since investories are still quite modest there. Longer term, Natick is probably also safer given employment opportunities in town and near town. Finally, given gas prices, locations that are closer to major cities are going to fare better as the cost of commuting increases. All of that said, I agree with other postings, that the most important consideration should be which house will you personally be happiest in. Almost any house can be "resold" at the right price.
Hi Deb,
I hear this question often and based on my experience working with many buyers and sellers , and my own personal experience as a homeowner in my 4th home, I have found that the location of the home you buy is very important! For resale, yes, but more important - it needs to fit your life-style, be as close as possible to where you work and play and where your family and friends are. If you work from home, have lots of friends or family in either location, then its a matter of what makes you happy - a big house in the country or a smaller home near to public transportation, shopping, etc...what feels right Deb? Would you be lonely out in Sturbridge and have to spend countless hours and money on gas, commuting back and forth to the Metrowest to be with people you know? Or is a slower pace life-style out in western ma something that sounds attractive your family? Only you can make this very big decision, and as you said, life happens - and much of life is not centered around money and the resale value of your home, but moreso, the ones you share it all with. Don't misunderstand, I do believe in building equity through real estate which is why I chose to be a REALTOR, but a "home" is what goes on inside and outside of the real estate - Generally houses in all areas will resell in time, if priced appropriately for their location and the market. I do find that many people who opt for the bigger house too far from all they know, are not truly happy because they cannot share their day to day experience with the people who matter most, especially if it separates the family, parents, grandchildren, cousins, close friends -
Now if you are comparing communties or neighborhoods within Natick or other towns within the Metrowest , thats a bit easier to evaluate potential resale and look at historical trends. If you want some help looking at options in the Natick area, I can certainly help. Just call me. 508-259-0712
Donna Moy-Bruno, DonnaBruno@ERAKey.com
Dear Deb,
I agree with Chris. Some things you can change about your home: condition, size. etc...but some things you can't: location. Based purely on location, I feel Natick is a better long-term investment. Plus you won't drain your entire budget on the Natick home. Your friends are correct, Natick is a high-demand area and will almost definitely continue to be. Check out the link below to: http://www.NotSoBigHouse.com a site inspired by the work of Sarah Susanka. She really changed my thinking about what we really need to live in as far as square footage. Maybe she might inspire you to re-think the 1,100 SF in Natick. Good luck!
Hi Deb,
Natick, by it's location will be always be a higher demand area. I'm wondering why not apply the $80,000 you are prepared to spend in Sturbridge toward a larger home on a bigger lot in the Natick area. I strongly suggest taking your commute into consideration. You'll be surprised at how much commuting costs. I have a Commuter Calculator at the bottom of the page at the link below that you might find useful.