Daisy, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Help, please. I am buying a house in the hills. There is a geological report that was done in 1996. Do I need a new one? I have to cancel in 24 hrs

Asked by Daisy, Los Angeles, CA Sat Aug 13, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Daisy, I would absolutely advise you to get a Geology Report. If it is an issue of saving money and a quick answer call the Geologist who did the report in 1996 and have him give you an updated assessment.

Endre Barath,Jr.
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Geo inspections are a lot about drainage and keeping water away from the house. A good geologist will spot problems before they happen. I would do a Geo, its worth the money.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 16, 2011
Hi Daisy,

Talk with your agent and/or lawyer first, but for my two cents, I'm with Cynthia on this. Get an extension so you can evaluate the situation and get a report if it's needed.

You should never allow youself to be pressured on big issues like major physical inspections and you could be saving yourself a lot of grief by walking away, as trying as that can be.

Best of Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 14, 2011
I would definitely get a Geological study done. In that area, it has probably been subject to wildfires since that time and the vegitation might have changed, which could increase the chances for landslides and whatnot. The drainage might have changed and affected the area. Better to be safe...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 16, 2011
Honestly, u should have one just to have some peace of mind... Doesn't matter what.
I'm a real estate broker and I will do it just to be safe, is not necessary; but wil give you more confidence on your

If I can help you , I would be please to help you. You can contact me at : naylachanto@kw.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 14, 2011
Dear Daisy,

Do you see any signage of any slippage, such as crack in the interior walls, cracks in the outside floor concrete, cracks in the flooring tiles, uneveness in the corners and connections of the walls, generally signs on the flooring and walls, if the house is not a recent remodel. If the house is a recent remodel then all signs may have been corrected. But still walk outside the house and find signs that would alert you to any issues and problems. Generally soils reports are rather expensive. But if you decide to do the report contact the same company who did the report in 1996 and ask them to come by again, as they may give you a break.

Did the 1996 report find any problems, and make any recommendations? Look around and see if the recommendations were followed.

Most houses in the hillside provide very nice and majestic views, and you have to be realistic to the fact that most hillside homes may have some movements if the drainage issues are not adressed, if correct vegitation that stops soils erosion is not planted on the hillside, if there is over watering of the plants and vegitation, etc.. As with all types of properties care and maintenance is required. So decide for yourself what your objectives are.

If you really like this property, then by all means get an updated soils report. The soils condition has probably not changed, but the engineers recommendations to you may change. And you will know how to take care of your new home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 14, 2011
I would certaintly get a new one - make it contingent to the sale
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Buying in the Hills, there are many different types of inspection reports you should get. It's been 15yrs since the last report for a geological study, you should at least get another report regarding soil & slippage, along with your general home inspection.

See if the same co. who did the report in 96' is still in business.

562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 13, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer