Home Buying in Selden>Question Details

Dm891968, Home Buyer in Centereach, NY

Help can I work with anthor agent from same office,

Asked by Dm891968, Centereach, NY Fri Aug 3, 2012

OK working with an agent who is rep for a house, and he sticks.I called office manager, now no I have not signed any thing and I made an offer and was suppost to meet him at the home, he did not show. I waited for45 min. Called manage and they have offered to give an agent to work wit. But down the road will I have any problems.

Answers

4
I am not sure what you are asking. I believe you are saying, "you put an offer on a property, and do not have representation." The "Agent" in question is working on the behalf and better interest of the seller, and you want someone to do the same for you. This is what I am assuming you mean.

If this is the scenario, all you have to do is find an Agent (of your choice) to work in your best interest, which includes negotiating the offer, aiding in property inspections, appraisals, etc. Of course you could just take the "Agent" the managing broker assigns to you. However, I would advise working with someone of your choice. Ask friends & family for recommendations. And PLEASE, do not avoid getting representation because you think it will cost you an arm and a leg. Typically, the seller pays most, if not ALL of the "Agent/Brokers Fee."

In my opinion, get an Agent that will represent your best interests, and someone that you are comfortable with.

I hope this answered your question. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Serving Long Island & Queens
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 5, 2012
Without a signed agreement you are free to work with any agent you like....therefore choose your agent with care....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2012
I'm not sure about what you are saying? Are you saying you've been working with the listing agent, but then called the office manager and made an offer on the house who then agreed to meet you at the house but never showed up? That then you called the head (designated) broker who offered to give you another agent to work with? First of all you should have been given a NYS agency form from the beginning. You can use any agent that you like as long as the property is listed and it would be to your advantage to be represented by a buyers agent who's loyalty is only to you. The agent that you make an offer to is required to submit any legitimate offers to the seller immediately but may want proof of your financing pre-approval your credit- worthiness and your finances so as to consider it a serious offer. In NY It is recommended that you have a local experienced real estate attorney to review contract the and all matters related to the sale and closing. (As a matter of fact it's a good idea to have an attorney on call as an offer isn't valid until a contract has been delivered by the seller, signed by the buyer with 10% in escrow, then signed by the seller and delivered to the buyer or attorney.)
Below is a link to the NYS agency disclosure form you should have received.
You shouldn't have any problems but you do have options. The listing broker can assign an agent to you under the concept of dual agency where the agent would represent your interests and the listing agent would represent the sellers interests. Or, they can have you deal with another agent who is a seller's agent and is not protecting you but the seller. They will give you a form called an agency disclosure, this will state whose interests the agent is working for. Your other option is to get your own buyer's agent. If you get a buyer's agent that will take what is offered to buyer's agents as their whole commission (most will) you won't have to pay a dime and they can help you with this as well as other properties if this one doesn't work out. If your not sure about agency and agents contact me and I will explain further as it is important that you understand whose interests the agents are looking out for. Good luck!