Jenagnitsch, Real Estate Pro in Washington, DC

Hello, any advice on the BEST neighborhoods or areas in Mt. Pleasant or Daniel Isl. that are least prone to flooding (higher elevation) & lower taxes?

Asked by Jenagnitsch, Washington, DC Fri Jan 3, 2014

I have heard to stay West of RT. 17. Trying to avoid paying an arm and a leg for flood/wind/hurricane or prop insurance as well as taxes. Realize it can be double from one neighborhood to another. Looking to rule out and ID specific areas. thx!

Answers

11
Hi Jena,
The cost of flood insurance depends mostly on the flood zone as detemined by FEMA, and the elevation of the first floor above mean high tide. Flood zones change and some Mount Pleasant neighborhoods (like Belle Hall Plantation, for example) may have homes that are in flood zones (like AE) and others that are not (i.e. flood zone X). It is very difficult to "rule out" neighborhoods based on cost of flood insurance, it comes down to the specific property.

After Congress passed the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012, which went into effect last October, many homes have experienced increased rates. At present Congress is considering legislation to delay the implementation of this law, but this has not yet been approved.

The best course of action, in my opinion, is to select the home you like (wherever) but include in your offer a contingency to be able to research the cost of flood and wind/hail insurance within a time frame after the contract has been ratified - as part of your due diligence - so that if the cost is too high you can rescindf the contract and receive a full earnest money refund. This is what I recommend to my buyer clients.

Alan Donald, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Realty, Mount Pleasant, SC
It could be very different from the house across the street. You are very wise to make this a factor in buying a home. I try to get my buyers to call a" knowledgeable" insurance agent. Spend the 10 minutes getting schooled on the upcoming changes to flood.
Call or email me for some referrals on insurance experts.
843-906-2036
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Would love a few insurance expert names. thanks Bill
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
Carolina Park is a beautiful new neighborhood and the elevation levels are much better than near the beach.
Lower taxes? You'll need to look "West" of the Cooper not in Mt Plastic! As for flooding, parts of Hanahan and Goose creek are elevated and anywhere east of the Cooper is lower, more marsh like and flood prone.
I agree with the advice about the wind and hail insurance. However, you also need to get an elevation certificate to determine what your flood rates will be. I would love to help you find a home. Check out our reviews on Trulia.
Do you know approx. what a surveyor charges for an Elevation Certificate in the Charleston area? I just paid $750 here in Calif, (which did result in my flood ins. premium being reduced). I am moving there in June and hoping it won't be as costly. Thanks!
Flag Sat Jan 4, 2014
Jena g-
The "West of 17" rule is largely tied to wind and hail insurance. West of 17 is typically less and many of the large national insurance companies stopped selling east of 17 (although no problem securing coverage). Flood insurance depends on the homes main floor elevation relative to the base flood zone requirement. Any homes that are built to code (typically after 1980) in AE or X flood zones should have reasonable premiums (plan on $500/yr). Note that Daniel Island is in Berkeley County which has higher taxes than Charleston County. Depending on your price range this could be one of the larger factors. Also, primary residence taxes are almost 1/3 the cost of a 2nd home.

So to summarize your best bet is to be in Charleston County, west of 17, in an AE or X flood zone as a primary resident.
Please let me know if I can help you with your home search.
Chris
843-327-8986
chaviland@carolinaone.com
I will try to give you some that are currently not requiring flood insurance. If you will email me I will find out what you are looking for and send you some MLS listings that may fit into your criteria.

kemde@century21properties.com

843-718-7379
I am reading these posts and find myself in the same position. We would like to move to Mt Pleasant, but were shocked when State Farm declared one of our prospective home "ineligible". Can you send a list of homes in an X zone?
2000 - 3000 sq feet, $450 - $650?
Cindy Dailey drum2005roll@aol.com
Flag Fri Jul 18, 2014
I am also a resident of Mount Pleasant and a member of the country club at Daniel Island so feel free to call me with questions about either.
Unless you are on the water you shouldn't be concerned about flooding. Your concern should be the elevation of the home above the flood plane which will dictate how much your flood insurance will cost if needed. Most homes on Daniel Island are less than ten years old which means they were built with regard to the new flood plane.

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions and or concerns.

Brian
Your advice is less than informed. Flooding can occur far from waterfront lots. Fema has a look up tool for specific addresses and LOMA information that may or may not exclude certain properties.
Flag Wed Oct 1, 2014
We have so many wonderful neighborhoods....about what size home and price are you looking to spend. I'd would be happy to send u some info. Call me and I will give u the scoop. You can't go wrong with either location. My email is dnettles2012@gmail or phone is 843-509-6756. Donna
Taxes are going to be pretty low no matter where you live in Mount Pleasant as long as it is your primary residence. It is a huge tax break here and can amount to a third of the cost of it being taxed as a second home. Regarding flood zoning, in Mount Pleasant it can be hit or miss depending on area and the age of the home. Building requires the home to sit at minimum 14 feet above flood. There are several neighborhoods here that comply with that requirement. Park West, Dunes West, some areas in Old Mount Pleasant…. it can be hit or miss. Would love to go into more detail, feel free to give me a call. 843-814-0551 or visit my website to take a peak at http://www.catherineparkersellscharleston.com.

Happy house hunting! Catherine