Home Buying in Aurora>Question Details

homeforourlo…, Home Buyer in Pasadena, CA

Hello :) Why are so many realtors listing apartments, townhomes as single family homes?

Asked by homeforourlove, Pasadena, CA Tue Jul 30, 2013

Pardon my venting, but this has bugged for for years. This is so aggravating that I wouldn't want to deal with the listing agent for anything since I feel I couldn't trust them. This includes the listing of 'waterfont' homes in the middle of Pasadena, CA. I see more and more slovenly listings that are just plain lazy. 'No fireplace' listed, but two show in pics. 'Basement unknown' well, you're the listing agent shouldn't you know the item for which you're getting paid (if it sells)? What do homeowners think who obviously want to sell their home? Shouldn't it be described to the property's best abilities?

Answers

3
Homeforourlove,

There are some homes, expecially townhomes that can be listed as 'condo/townhomes', and also as 'attached single family' homes. It should however be made clear. As for the other concerns, we all have the same concerns and I apologize for the industry when this happens. As we often say, most of us really do our best and nove us are perfect; but you must realize that all agents are not created equal. Work with your Buyer's Agent and ask lots of questions when you are interested in a certain property. Maybe you are a candidate for becoming a 'great' Realtor. We are always glad to have more quality people in the industry.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi Robert,
Thank you for the information, I understand - there are fabulous :) While it may be 'okay' that can be listed as SFH, it's not right because they are not single family home- detached and on it's own land. Is there a way to distinguish the search for this specifically since the results are muddied? I will work with an agent I, but for now, I'm looking on my own. Having an agent won't help if they regurgitate the same lack of info.
While I wasn't an agent, I did work for years advertising property both residential and commercial. I loved it! I researched the properties, gathered the information, wrote the copy, designed the ads and collateral, worked with printers, etc. It was great fun and I made sure to provide the owners with the best service. LOL, I should have gotten a license. I get a bee in my bonnet when I see agents getting paid to do crappy work. As a Homeowner, I'd be furious with the lack of respect. :/
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
Hello, not exactly true about these types of site getting info and then re-posting and then trying to sell Realtor(s) leads... of course it is optional and they do send Realtors FREE leads. All info is Pushed to these sites when the realtor checks the box to "share" with internet related sites, which is totally optional. Most agents do not mind the extra exposure (as well as the seller) from these sites since most buyers/sellers will go to these sites to look for an agent first or their future home first, price values etc... before picking up the phone.

So to answer the question "Homeforourlove" Realtors/assistants may input things incorrectly or possibly miss a subject line when the information is being input, there is a lot to go through and I myself have missed on occasion as well. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks and happy house hunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
You have to remember the source. Trulia (Zillow, realtor websites, oodle, propsmart, homes.com, etc) are all IDX. (Information exchange sites) A second hand source that takes data from MLS's and then loads to their site. Their is no oversight from the agent. Consider using your local MLS as the best source for correct info.
Think of how many sites out there that do this process. Who's fault is it that it is wrong? You are now introduced to the can of worms that many agents are dealing with. They are taking our (your) info from the MLS and advertising it for their benefit and then trying to sell the leads back the agents for more $. Wow. Lazy has nothing to do with it unless the MLS info is wrong and that fall-out chain is long.
Hi Cory, me again. Sorry if I hit a nerve. Thank you for the info, I didn't realize that the info is input again in each of these sites individually and that does create a chance of error. As far as my use of the word 'lazy'? Does each website take their own photos? You wouldn't call tiny, untweaked cell phone pictures lazy? I also had no idea that people can sell leads back to the agents for more $. Curious how that works and sorry to hear it. And lest you think I'm picking solely on RE agents, I know well that there are homeowners who are nightmares to work for, but they are the 'client or boss' and deserve the best representation possible for their properties. Hopefully, the agent's work pays off, the property sells and the agent gets their commission :D.
Flag Wed Jul 31, 2013
My point exactly. I assumed it all came from MLS & there are definitely times the it's incorrect & we know who is at fault - the person who inputs the info. If not the agent, shouldn't they at least verify the info once it's uploaded? Commission. I can absolutely say some agents are lazy - cell phone pics - really? for an $800k+ Newport Beach home? I've helped Agents who spent their weekend buying & planting at a Sellers' home to get ready for pics, brochures and Open House because the owners were elderly. I don't expect an agent to do this. I do expect EFFORT, integrity & honesty. I had an agent who wanted a bullet point of "all windows face outside" in their copy. Waste of $.
Flag Wed Jul 31, 2013