Home Buying in Little York>Question Details

andrea, Home Buyer in New Hope, PA

Hello, We are interested in finding a home with decent access (45-60 miles) to Upper Saddle River, NJ. The town must have a SMALL public high school!

Asked by andrea, New Hope, PA Sun Nov 27, 2011

We are currently in Bucks Co. PA, but need to commute to Northern New Jersey (Upper Saddle River), so we are considering moving. We would like a small town feel and charm. Most importantly, we have a child who needs a smaller school environment and will be entering high school in two years. We don't want him in a mega-high school, but one with a few hundred kids...400-500. An hour commute is okay to find this. Does this exist??? Would love suggestions! Many thanks!

Answers

11
So Andrea - just out of curiosity, since you asked this almost 6 months ago...........if you're still on trulia reading this ..............where did you wind up moving?
Two great homes - both are lakefronts. Commute to Saddle River is 29 miles - just hop on the highway. The first one has a wonderful community - its all about the kids. Second one is small town feel as well
MLS #s are 2929684 and 2931886
Dear Andres:
An easy commute to USR is the communities along Rte 287 such as Butler, Lincoln Park, Pompton Lakes. and Montville. Great small school systems and less than 45 minutes to work. I suggest you visit the website below for stats on any area.
Good Luck. Jeffrey
Web Reference: http://www.city-data.com
Hi Andrea

Thanks for the clarification.

Keeping the size of the high school to 400-500 stdents eliminates towns like Livingston (>1600), Millburn (>1400) or Chatham (>900)....just as a few examples.

I will put my thinking cap on,check around, and see what suggestions I can come up with - keeping your request/requirement in mind.
I was referring to high school size.

Price range would be 500-800K. We would consider all properties because we are open to renovating...and also new construction.

Thx for all for your replies!
Just curious - was the 400-500 your price range, or the size of the high school?

This question would be easier to answer with an idea of what you want to spend. That information would help include or exclude a number of local areas.

Best wishes........
You may find the Morristown, NJ area to your liking and less than one hour commute. You are coming from a very special place, Bucks Co. Keep in mind what you'll expect from your new community - academically, culturally, sports activities, etc. I am licensed in NJ and PA and have lived in in the New Hope area and several different areas in New Jersey over the years. If I may assist you, please contact me directly at 908-797-5400.

Best regards, Lynell Antonelli
Prudential Fox & Roach, REALTORS
lynell.antonelli@prufoxroach.com
Any thoughts on towns in the Northwest part of NJ or near Upper Saddle River?....or even across the border into New York state? Again, we want a smaller town with charm with a SMALL high school with easy access to Upper Saddle River.
Hi Andrea,
I would suggest you go to the http://www.njmonthly.com website. You will find all the School/ High School information you will need to start your search. There is even an article about class size. If I can be of any help in the Union, Essex and Morris County areas, please contact me.
Carol
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011
Hi Andrea,

I hope you receive some responses from agents who cover surrounding Upper Saddle River. If not, feel free to reach out to me and I will put you in touch with one.

I have four boys and understand the importance of schools! Two of mine are already in college now and two are still at home - I've been in your shoes. My older boys attended the West Windsor-Plainsboro school district and it was massive! Which, is one of the reasons why I moved.

I reside and work in Fair Haven-Rumson, and our towns absolutely fit the criteria you're looking for and we have blue ribbon schools. The commute is an hour to Upper Saddle but can be a little longer depending on traffic. Because the towns are smaller, the schools are more intimate. Check out my website at http://www.FairHavenRumson.com for a little bit more information but feel free to give me a call on my cell 609.847.2443.

Linda Gillespie
Consider taking the time and visit areas of interest more than once; also do consider working with an agent of your own, he/she will be your best guide; for school information see link below. If purchasing with a mortgage be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
http://www.greatschools.org/