Chris, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Hello! My wife accepted work at mayo clinic starting in mid 2009; should we wait or buy a house now?

Asked by Chris, New York, NY Sun May 18, 2008

Answers

14
wait until you get settled in and get a pulse for the market, no doubt it is a good time to buy but you want to find the right deal and know the area. Congratulations and good luck to you!
Hello! Whether it is a good time to buy now or not really depends on your individual circumsances. Will buying now be financially feasible to you? Will you be making multiple mortgage payments until mid 2009? Yes, there are good opportunities available for buyers in Jacksonville right now but that doesn't mean they will be gone quickly. When the market changes it will be a slow change and in all honesty you are moving to a new area, you should take your time to find the perfect home that will meet your lifestyle needs.

Holly Balaban
Prudential Network Realty
One other consideration - assuming you are not planning to move for a while, what will you do with the new house? Leave it vacant? Rent it out? Are you willing to take on the risks of any of these approaches? Enjoy your new home, whenever you decide to buy!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Chris

Mayo usually refer's their new hires to a Relocation Specialists in the area to assist you with your Real Estate needs. You are free to use any agent you wish and selecting an agent that you were not referred to has never been a problem. Mayo does not require that you use the recommended agent.

Most new hires are usually unsure and are feel compelled to use the agent that the Human resources staff memer or the new boss refers them to. Many of the Realtors referred are personal friends of the referring staff member and not formally endorsed by Mayo. I have been an agent on the receiving end of several Mayo referrals.

The current real estate market in Jacksonville & Ponte Vedra has not yet shown positive signs that the market is making a significant change. Experts believe that the Jacksonville market will stabalize sometime after the 2nd quarter of 2008 and that we will see the market rebound early 2009. You are in a perfect position to wait and monitor the local real estate market. You may decide after a short time to build a new home. Builders have offered some very lucrative incentives and discounts over the past few months.

If you were to interview and choose an agent to work with now, you could have that agent monitor the market and send you MLS data on typical homes in the area that are within your price range. Together you and your agent can monitor the monthly changes in the real estate market. You will become knowledgeable about the local market, types and style of homes and areas that are available to you, New home builders, and new home communities. After several months your agent may recommend that it would be in your best interest to purchase early or you may have received infomation on the perfect home or community. It will them be time to schedule a visit. Finding the perfect home will take only a few days if you have been doing homework for months.

Once the market begins to change it will take several months before any significant change will take place. You may find a home that appears too good to pass up and decide that you will make your offer prior to mid 2009. Working with an agent for several months or a year to become familiar with local real estate will certainly help you to make a more informed, efficient and lodgical decision when the time to purchase arrives.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Best of luck to you and your family

Cathy Sloan
RE/MAX Specialists
Jacksonville, Florida
Web Reference: http://www.cathysloan.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 19, 2008
Hi Chris,
Don't put yourself in that frame of mind. If you do you are assuming there is no chance of finding the right deal. I know better.....There is a home out there for you to buy right now that is in the right neighborhood, that meets your criteria, at the right price BUT......You need to find it!! Here's your assignment:

1. Qualify for a loan
2. Identify an agent
3. Find a home

Remember, regardless of the market, there are always great opportunities to be had....investors find them and you can too.

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008

It is a great time to buy here in Jacksonville. It is a buyers market and shall remain that way through the end of the year. Experts predict that prices should stabalize toward the second half of the year and begin to rise in early 2009. Feel free to call or email at anytime if you have any questions. My website provides a ton of information on the Jacksonville area. Check it out at http://www.DavidOttHomes.com

David Ott
Keller williams Realty
904-288-7990 office
904-318-5121 cell
ott2buy@comcast.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008
It's a great time to buy in Jacksonville. It's definitly a buyers market here and there are a lot of great deals to choose from. If you would like more information on homes that are avaliable email me or give me a call. Also check out my website to learn more about Jacksonville and what it has to offer.
http://www.prudentialnetworkrealty.com/agent.aspx?id=34733

Shonda Sauls, REALTOR®
Prudential Network Realty
(904)260-4300 #625 Office
(904)962-6139 Mobile
Shonda.Sauls@PrudentialNetworkRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008
Short Answer: If you don't buy it now? When
AD SINGH (904) 302-4373
ADNFMLS@GMAIL.COM
Web Reference: http://www.nfmls.com
Chris,
If you are in the position to buy a home now in or around the Mayo Clinic are here in Jacksonville and you find something you really like, now is a good time! Keep in mind that there are always deals to be found though, and if you wait until close to your moving date you will no doubt find something you like. I would love to send you some current listings so that you could see what is available. Email me what you are looking for, or visit my website to begin your search.
Web Reference: http://www.DenaAtkins.com
Chris
I have a house for sale off San Pablo 5-10 minutes to Mayo. We are relocating and must sell NOW so we are open to all offers. MLS#426982. Give me a call for more info Michelle 588-3750 Established neighborhood on quiet culdesac which backs up to Queens Harbor. 3BR/2BA 1524 sq ft, laundry room, spa, screened lanai, big yard. Open to all reasonable offers!!!!! 578 Peregrine Ct.
Hi Chris. There are many factors that should be considered in making your decision and there is really no right or wrong answer but the biggest factor, in my opinion, is whether you presently have a house to sell and do you need to sell it before you buy. If you CAN buy now, you should. I think we have the "perfect storm" for buyers but the market is already showing signs of stabalizing and there is no telling how long this will last. Good luck!
Chris, in my opinion now is a terrific time to buy. Rates are good, inventory is high, and sellers are negotiating.
I assume you mean buy in Rochester, MN now or wait til 2009. Assuming also that you have nothing to sell in FL, I would wait until you are there , in MN. The job may turn out to be a bummer, or you miss where you are from. Don't add pressure of timing the housing market. God Luck though.

Carl
Chris, I am considering short selling my home in Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. We are located in a gated neighborhood, just over the bridge from the Mayo Clinic (less than 2 miles). We are having to relocate due to the military. If you would like more information on the home we have for sale please email me at JaxBeachHomeForSale@gmail.com.