Home Buying in Burleson>Question Details

mark.griggs, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Hello...If the utilities are turned off, how (during an inspection) can you certify everything works?

Asked by mark.griggs, Tampa, FL Thu Jun 13, 2013

I will be relocating to the Burleson area. I will be purchasing a home via 100% cash. However, I want to ensure it is not only in good condition but top notch condition. That is why I will require a home inspector (independent third party) to produce a written report saying all is "good". i dont know how that can occur if the utilities etc are off.

Help the community by answering this question:



Utilities need to be on for a complete inspection to be done, HUD will let you turn on utilities temporarily usually for 48 hours in order to have your inspection done, the city of Burleson will not turn on water without someone present at the home to make sure valves are closed and that there are not any leaks. Your agent should be able to help you get this coordinated.

James McMath
Orr & Associates Real Estate
Burleson TX 76028
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 1, 2013
Utilities need to be on.
The standard Texas contract requires the seller to have the utilities on, however some foreclosures shift this responsibility to the buyer.
Also some sellers just may not understand the contract and their responsibilities.
That's why having a great realtor involved is a great idea.

So of course you want an inspector to inspect the home. This is normal.
It is also normal for them to find a whole list of issues....all will produce a written report.

They can't test much if the utilities are off.

Why are you asking this question? Do you know the utilities are off? You may have to or want to have them turned on if the seller won't do it, even if it is at your expense.

Check out Burleson homes for sale here:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 15, 2013
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi Mark,

All the answers you have received are good answers. If the seller is still currently living in the property, the utilities will be on for you to have a home inspector inspect the property. In some cases that the property is a foreclosure or a short sale, the utilities might not be on. To help solve this problem, utilities companies are understanding that you need them turned on to have the inspection performed. With you being out-of-state, your agent will be able to assist you with this.

If you aren't already working with a Realtor, I would love the opportunity to earn your business and assist you purchasing a new home in the Burleson area! I'm very familiar with Burleson and the surrounding areas. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. I look forward to hearing from you!

Make it a Great Day!

Tamika A. Goree
Broker | Owner
The DFW Property Shop
Cell: 972.697.1178
Fax: 972.665.7148
Email: tamika.goree21@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
As it has been said you will need to have the utilities turned on for the inspection to have a full and complete inspection of the home. Your agent should be guiding you and communicating with the seller to help with the scheduling of the inspection and ensuring that utilities are turned on. Depending on the situation of the sale you may need to do this on your end or the seller may take care of it.

Hope this helps.

Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
Hi Mark,
The previous answers are correct. The utilities will be turned on for your inspection. I am a local Realtor in Burleson and will be glad to answer any questions you have and help you find the home you are looking for.
Please let me know how I can be of help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
Hi Mark,

The utilities have to be turned on for home inspection. If the seller won't do it, have your Realtor call the utility companies and have them turned on for the day of the inspection. Most utility companies will do this for home inspections.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
All utilities have to be turned on to get the mechanicals and plumbing system inspected.

As Larry stated, it would have been smarter and wiser if you are working with a realtor/agent as there are circumstances when seller will refuse to have the utilities turned on.

And your agent should be able to assist you in the matter.

Best of Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
a generator could possibly take care of the electric. Unless the water is from the well, don't know how you would do that., but if the utilities are off and the seller won't turn them on or let you do it, it won't be in top notch condition.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
It can't. I'm assuming you're buying a bank owned foreclosure and you need to either have them turn on the utilities or you're going to have to have them turned on. If you are buying a foreclosure and your thinking it's going to be in top notch condition, my 35 years of experience tells me that you're going to be disappointed

If this is not a foreclosure but a private sale and the owner has turned off all the utilities and the house has been sitting unconditioned for some period of time this really isn't a good thing and again you should be prepared to find some issues. The seller in this instance is responsible for having the utilities on for your inspections. .

Finally I hope you're working with an experienced buyer broker, if not you've already shot yourself in the foot as your question indicates that you would benefit from having someone experienced on your side to consult with and who could guide you through the process while helping you avoid the pitfalls.

I sincerely hope everything works out for you and have attached a link below if you are considering foreclosure properties.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
You have to have the utilities turned on. There is no other way. Either have the owner/seller do it or you have to do it yourself. Your agent can walk you through that.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
You should be able to contact the utility and have them assist. Start with a call to them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer