Danman, Home Buyer in 60538

Hello ! I purchased a home in Montgomery, Illinois in November of 2006. At that time, the listing stated NO

Asked by Danman, 60538 Mon Aug 10, 2009

SSA taxes here ! ! , and indeed, the first two tax bills I received did not have an SSA tax. However, I just received my 2009 tax bill and now have a Active SSA 27 listing for $135.39. I also have a listing for a Backup SSA 28, which is listed as 0 for this year, but who knows about next? SO, I went on-line and looked at real estate listings on my street and in my neighborhood. ALL of the current listings state NO SSA HERE ! ! ! . How can this be? How can I have a SSA when the listing when I purchased (and all current listings in my neighborhood and subdivision) say they do NOT have an SSA? Isn't this illegal?

Answers

4
What is the name of your subdivision? Have you contacted the attorney that handled your closing?
The answer is simple. Go back to your closing documents. I recall signing a paper at closing about the SSA. It spells it out there. This is the Cover-Their-Butts paper in which they have to legally inform you that this is an SSA subdivision & how much it will cost you. Now, about that posting where it says "typically about $1,000" ---- uh, not so fast. Ours are $1725. Happy hunting thru the documents!!!
SSA's are definitely confusing. You did not indicate which subdivision you bought. There are SSA's that show on the tax bill with no amount due. When it says "NO SSA HERE" may mean that there is a Special Service Area" but there is no costs or payments due. Hence, No SSA Here.
Typically SSA payments are in the $1,000 range. You will need to call your township assessor. Montgomery addresses can be in one of three townships.
My recommendation would be to contact your tax assessor office for further details. They should be able to explain this reasoning to you, much less point you in the right direction. You can always give me a ring for further assistance: 630-881-7082