Home Buying in Hillsboro>Question Details

Paul Sarani, Home Buyer in Hillsboro, OR

Hello, I'm a first time buyer! I'm very nervous and wanted to know how can you be sure there is nothing wrong with the house when you are

Asked by Paul Sarani, Hillsboro, OR Sat May 26, 2012

buying? Who does the inspection and how much does it cost? what should I know as a first time buyer?

You can't.

My advice to nervous people is that they need to moderate their nervousness or they will never move forward. Life is uncertain.

Inspectors can only evaluate what is visible. Yes, there are a zillion potential problems lurking under the surface - we need to moderate the desire to ensure that everything is perfect and kind of go with the "gestalt" - the house "looks" pretty good, except for these things (whatever they may be), and take it from there.

Nervousness can be paralyzing, but there is some benefit in tempering those emotions - what would a reasonable person do in this situation?

Do not expect that your nervousness should be a factor in a professional's evaluation of the home.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
I sell homes for Arbor Custom Homes and buying a new home takes out some stress with all the warranties that come with the home. But warranties are only as good as the builder. Arbor Custom Homes has built over 6,000 homes in the Portland Metro Area and are still thriving after nearly 25 years of building homes.
With that said even on new construction, I strongly suggest a home inspection either before move-in or before your one year warranty is up. Feel free to stop by and view our new homes.
Most Realtors will have a list of home inspectors they recommend and the price can run from $200 to $600 (not as simple as the $350 many are quoting on here) depending on the experience of the inspector and the number of tests you run. Depending on the house, your inspector and Realtor should be able to recommend exactly what tests should be done.
Hopefully your agent knows a great inspector. Here in Grants Pass the termite/dryrot and whole home inspection runs about $390.00 pd for by you as a buyer because you want to know all about the house. There are places on line you can go to get all that info. Try
I agree with all the responses. I remember buying my first home. I couldn't sleep at night.
I was glad for my real estate agent who talked to me about the process and worked hard getting me into the house and the inspectors who told me how things were looking every step of the inspection process and some advice for maintaining and keeping integrity of the home intact post purchase.

The inspection fee is nominal $350 dollars give or take a bit. You can pay more to have them look deeper at the homes core. You can also buy or request the seller buy you a Home Warranty Policy. That can cover some of the major expenses should anything go wrong in that first year of home ownership.

I love properties and became a real estate agent knowing I could find homes that fit an individuals needs, couples or families lifestyle, or just a place for relaxation and regrouping when not out conquering the world.

If I can assist in any way, let me know.
Kim Fox
If you're currently working with an agent, these are great questions to be asking them. If you're not working with an agent you should consider finding one, especially one that is experienced with first time home buyers, knows the best inspectors in the area and can explain the entire buying process to you . . . including inspections.

My May 19th article "How Can I Find a Good Home Inspector?" might be a good read. (Article linked in web reference below).

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Representing Buyers Exclusively since 1999
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Hi. I know buying a home for the first time can be a bit overwhelming. An agent who has not only experience but also the desire to walk with you at each step is a must. I sit down with my new buyers at the very beginning and spend a lot of time giving an overview of how it works, the safeguards I take to protect you and your interests, what the bumps are likely to be and how to prepare and handle them if they do come. I give buyers their "homework" once an offer is accepted so you know exactly what the next step is, the timeframes to be carefully watched and what all you need to be doing to prepare for owning. Be sure whoever you choose is fully engaged in the process from beginning to end.

Your agent can help you find the best inspectors, lenders and other home-helpers you might need who know the area, have and care about a good reputation and have a proven work record.

I've been an agent in the Hillsboro area for 8 years. The market here is very active right now, especially in the $200,000 and less segment. Our office is on Main St. downtown so is convenient for the whole process. This is an exciting time and a great time to jump in price-wise and interest-wise! If you'd like for information or help in the search (even if you aren't ready to buy now), I'd be happy to help you get to know the market.
Hi Paul,

I would highly recommend you get a Real Estate Broker working on your behalf. It costs you absolutely nothing, and you get guidance throughout the entire process including the inspection period. The sellers pay a commission on their homes that covers the price to the buyer's agent as well. They are paying this total commission regardless of whether you have an agent or not. The sellers will most likely have representation helping them negotiate to get the highest price. You should have someone negotiating to get you the best price for the home.

Realtors also have great contacts for home inspectors, as well as other companies you need to use throughout the home buying process. Inspections costs roughly $350-$400.

Good luck, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you are looking for a great Realtor.

Mandy Lewis
503-522-5803 cell