Michael, Home Buyer in 06525

Hello. I first met with my mortgage broker on April 30. I just received an email saying that I've been

Asked by Michael, 06525 Tue Jun 9, 2009

approved for a mortgage, but he needs a copy of my Social Security card. When I saw that request, I said to myself, 'oh, oh!'. I'm going crazy looking for my SS card. I'm I the only one who cannot locate his SS card? I feel if he had made me aware of this on April 30, I would had simply gotten a new card, instead of me now feeling blind-sighted. Every time I get over one hurdle, there's another to follow. Where do I stand now? Thank you.

Answers

2
I wouldn't jump down your mortgage broker's throat. Most banks don't require the SS card unless the file is audited for compliance. You can stop by a social security office in your area. They won't be able to give you a new card but they will issue a letter stating that this SS# belongs to you and that a new card is being issued. This should satisfy this condition. I've run into this problem before and the bank will take this letter which you can get today.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 10, 2009
It sounds like you need a new broker. A good broker should have been able to give you an answer within 24 hours, as well as having given you a list of all documentation that would be needed at your first meeting.
I will say that the industry has changed in recent months. Lenders are now asking for additional paperwork right up until the closing. Their requirements are getting much more stringent.
Web Reference: http://www.danrossre.com