Shenika, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Hello,I am thinking about buying a home instead of renting. I am a teacher in a revitalization area. I

Asked by Shenika, New Jersey Sat Dec 8, 2007

know some of programs that help teachers significantly with the fees and the process. How and where should I start this journey? Should I contact these agencies or the Real Estate Agencies OR should I try another route?? Help!

Answers

7
I agree w/ Francesca....currently you can start doing some online searches for properties either through Trulia, Realtor.com, or agent/broker websites and start becoming familar with the real estate offerings in your area of interest.

Work w/ a loan officer who is experienced with these types of loans. There are special programs for teachers and you want someone who is already familiar. It is important that your lender give you giudiance on price points of homes that will work for you. The lender can work w/ any Realtor you choose. Work on getting prequalified, it will help you in defining your search criteria.

Good Luck
Deborah
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Hi Shenika,

I used to be a teacher as well. There are programs to help teachers. First, start with your school and see what information they may have. Second, find a good lender who knows about these type of programs. I know there are some areas that give you certain breaks if you own a home in the district you teach....look into that as well. I know from experience that some teachers don't want to work in the area they teach cause they would prefer not to run into their students....that's a personal choice:) I can send you over information on buying v/s renting if that will help.

All in all....the financing is the first step. You really need to know 1) areas that you'd like to live 2) areas that you may benefit from being a teacher 3) how much you can afford. A lender can help you. I strongly suggest finding a reputable lender (not some mom and pop shop that is out of state.....in my experience, it never ends well). I have worked with a lender for over 6 years that is honest, straight to the point, and one that I have used myself for the past 2 homes I've purchased. She's great and I give you her info if you'd like to email me directly (realtorkim@comcast.net).

Second, find a full time agent that you feel comfortable with...one that's patient and not pushy.....one that knows the South Jersey area. I happend to run one very well...lol:) It makes the process much more enjoyable.
Hi Shenika,

You are doing all the right things, understanding the financing programs available to you is a great first step. I am a real estate agent in Camden County and would be happy to meet with you to give you some more information and answer any additional questions. I also work with a great lending team at Washington Mutual, they have a teacher's program, I can provide you their information to assist in your research and decision efforts. You can email me at heather-lynch@comcast.net if interested. Thank you and best of luck!
Thanks Deborah . . . as I see it Shenika, the key here is being an "educated consumer" . . . you don't have to know more than the mortgage contact or more than the Realtor, but know just enough to be able to feel comfortable that these contacts know more than you!

Finally, thanks for being there for our children. Your home buying incentives are well deserved.

Francesca
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2007
UHHH, CORRECDTIONS TO THIS MESS: Would you determine your "buying power" you will be ready to work with a realtor. However, will doing that work you can start having a realtor email you available properties or you can use Realtor.com to start looking on your own while working with the mortgage contacts.
--------------------
Once you determine your "buying power" you will be ready to work with a realtor. In the alternative, u can also have a realtor start emailing you available properties or you can use Realtor.com to start looking on your own while working with the mortgage contacts.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2007
Congratulations on your decision to take this big step; real estate is an investment that most do not regret. I would contact 3 different mortgage lenders/brokers AND do a bit of investing on those programs yourself. You want to test their knowledge by having some knowledge of your own about the programs that interest you. This will also help you to determine which mortgage contact you will feel most comfortable working with in the future.

Would you determine your "buying power" you will be ready to work with a realtor. However, will doing that work you can start having a realtor email you available properties or you can use Realtor.com to start looking on your own while working with the mortgage contacts.

If you need help with some local mortgage contacts, click on the link below and email me. I will provide you with multiple contacts. This is not a solicitation of your business as I do not do business in Camden, although I am familiar with its revitalization.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2007
I'd start with a mortgage broker or lender to see how much you qualify for. An experienced lender should be familar with these programs and help you. Once you are pre-qualified, contact a local Realtor to help you find a home in your price range. Ask family and friends for names of Realtors they have worked with. It's a great time to buy. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2007
Cindi Hagley,…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA