Home Buying in Sharon>Question Details

Krishna Muthu, Both Buyer and Seller in Plano, TX

Hello, I am looking to buy a house in Sharon or Walpole. Haven't made the decision yet. Got 2 little kids, both under 5. Any suggestions?

Asked by Krishna Muthu, Plano, TX Tue Feb 22, 2011

Relocating from out of state. So dont have much idea about the area either. I need to commute the other way to Mansfield. Looking for safe, kids friendly town/community, with good schools. Also, I understand most of the houses in this area are older. How old can the house be for it to be safe and comfortable? I understand these homes can be renovated... but Is it just a mental barrier or are there any big disadvantages with older homes? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks

Answers

9
Masha Senderovich’s answer
There is definitely a mental barrier for people moving from 'newer' parts of the country. But, how about a tour of homes in both towns? I'd be happy to show you around and help you with school and other neighborhood research so you can zoom in on a neighborhood. I would also encourage you to take a look at Canton, nearby.

Schooldigger . com and Neighborhoodscout . com are good places to start.

Masha @ preservationproperties . com
Hi there.
I'm just a buyer in Sharon. If you still need help then send me a note at Satyen.sharma@gmail.com.
Satyen
Hello Krishna,

If you have not found a house yet you might want to consider our house which we just put up for sale in Sharon. Here is the link: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/reo/2304171190.html It has been a wonderful, safe, and fun community for us. Our house would be about 15 min from Mansfield. Best of luck to you. You will enjoy the area.
Krishna, as Judy said agents cannot discuss or steer buyers to a certain town or area. We can locate you homes based on price nad style and proxinity to a certain area for commuting etc..
Hi Krishna,

The fact that you have identified Sharon or Walpole as two good prospects, AND that you are reaching out to gain advice through websites such as Trulia, shows that you are doing your homework! Good job!

As licensed real estate agents must adhere to the strict Fair Housing Laws, we cannot "steer" consumers towards or against any particular town or neighborhood. What we CAN do is advise you about the strict LEAD PAINT LAWS here in Massachusetts that are designed to inform and protect the consumer (and their children under the AGE OF 6). This law references homes built prior to 1978 so you may have limited options with homes you are considering.

What we can do is discuss GOALS with our customers. An agent who specializes in RELOCATION will be able to take those goals and streamline the process so as not to waste any of the customer's valuable time. Through this process, the customer often discovers that there are many choices that were not originally obvious.

In short, do yourself a favor and talk to an agent who specialized in RELOCATION. You are embarking on a major life-changing move and you need to feel confident that you are making the very best choices for your family!

Best of Luck!!! It would be my pleasure to answer any further questions you may have!

Judy Boyle
REMAX
Serving the Boroughs and Beyond
Hi Krishna,
Both Sharon & Walpole are safe, kid-friendly communities with good schools so you are off to a good start. As mentioned below, Sharon schools are rated a little higher but the cost of living in Sharon is higher too. Walpole is also an excellent community. I have friends with children who live in Walpole & just love it there. I help buyers purchase homes in these areas all the time as I am located in Canton, right next to Sharon.

As for older homes, I just helped a couple purchase a beautiful home from the late 1700's that is safe, comfortable & beautiful. Making sure the house has been properly maintained and updated over the years is important. Having a home inspection is key in purchasing either an older or newer home. Some feel that older homes are actually constructed better than newer homes & prefer the charm of an older home, while others have a preference for newer homes. It is really a matter of preference.

Both Sharon & Walpole offer plenty of new construction as well as older homes so there is quite a mix, depending on your price range, of course. As mentioned below, both Mansfield and Canton also have good schools and are safe, kid-friendly towns. Both also have a variety of new and older homes. Canton is has quick access to Route I-95, making an easy commute to Mansfied.

My suggestion would be to talk with a buyer agent in this area . He or she would be able to answer detailed questions about the area, give you inks to school and community information and help you with navigating your relocation to the area.

Good luck with your move! If you have any questions about the area, don't hesitate to ask!

Christine
Krishna,
I know the areas you are looking in very well. I see you need to commute to Mansfield. Sharon and Walpole are lovely towns as is Mansfield. You will find some newer homes in Mansfield. Sharon is higher priced as is Walpole. But Sharon homes median prices are the highest in the area, as are their taxes. Schools are rated high, thus high taxes. Walpole and Mansfield schools are rated well also, not as high as Sharon. There are newer homes in Sharon will be more expensive, but you do have areas such as Sharon Woods that are newer, large community. The great thing about all the towns are they have commuter rail access. If you need more assistance please don't hesitate to call 617-592-753,
Well, there is some very nice new construction being built in Sharon and Canton, so not ALL the houses are older. What is your price range?

A good way to check a community and it's schools is to look on my website at http://www.HomesWithGreer.com ... select any property and many of the related community amenities will be provided.

Also, a website I highly recommend is http://www.GreatSchools.org which gives a fairly detailed report and rating for each community and school district.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. (617) 308-6583
Krishna,
Welcome to New England. Sounds like you're looking for a new place for your family.
I know the area well and would be happy to assist. Both of these towns are good choices for various reasons and both have houses that are renovated, as well as ones that are in need of updates. There is a price for everything, of course.
Let's start with your criteria: what do you comfortably need in terms of bedrooms, square footage, and bathrooms? Are the kids going to public school (when they are old enough), or private school?
You can email me at masha@preservationproperties.com or call 617-340-3986 and we can talk more and get you started in your home search process.
Masha