Nplummer2005, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Hello, I am looking for a land contract or seller financing in Clayton county, GA.

Asked by Nplummer2005, Atlanta, GA Thu Jan 24, 2013

I would prefer a property of less than $30,000. I can pay a  down payment. Thank you

Hi Nplummer,

Rodney has given you the perfect answer to you question. There are many pitfalls in Owner Financing and a Lease Purchase I Georgian does not use the Land Contract form of Financing). My only addition to his excellent answer, depending on your Credit Score and Income situation would be to contact a Private Lender to finance your purchase.
May I suggest that you contact a Lender that I have worked with in the past with great results. They are a licensed lender in the State of Georgia and have placed many Home Mortgages here. They will lend up to 12 years on a Residential Mortgage, giving you plenty of time to get your affairs in order and not have to deal with a Rent to Own. They will not include a pre-payment penalty clause in their agreement, allowing you to refinance at a more favorable rate as soon as you can quality. You can give them a call and clarify some of the issues and see if they can help you. Their contact information is:

The Westmoore Group, LLC
Ph: (646) 801-6190
Fx: (646) 619-4291
The Westmoore Group, LLC is a licensed lender in the State of Georgia and operates under the license #30544.
I do not suggest doing lease purchases. There are simply way too many things that can go wrong with one from either side.

In order to do true owner financing, the owner must own the property free and clear of any mortgages. Very few sellers are going to be in that position.

If the property currently has a mortgage on it, the owner cannot legally transfer the title to a buyer without the mortgage first being paid in full. Most all mortgage loans have a due on sale clause. This due on sale clause requires that the mortgage be paid in full should a title transfer occur.

The buyer is also at great risk on a lease purchase transaction should the seller quit making their mortgage payments. Right now, many sellers cannot afford to make their mortgage payments or simply chose not to continue making them. I have seen where the buyer is making their rent payment, but then the owner is not paying the mortgage. The next thing the buyer knows is that the home is in foreclosure. That means the buyer will generally not get back any of the money they have given as earnest money or security deposits.

It is also a big risk on the buyer. If your credit is not where it needs to be now, there is no possible way of you knowing it will be acceptable in a set amount of time.

Before entering into any type of agreement like that, the buyer needs to make sure that they fully understand the potential pitfalls that could arise. Should the seller default on the mortgage, the buyer could lose ALL of the money that they have invested. Until you are able to purchase, renting is generally the safer option.

Working with a knowledgeable and seasoned loan officer is critical in today's market. Getting Pre-Qualified is the only way for you to find out your options to see if purchasing might be a possibility for you. To get Pre-Qualified for your purchase, you can submit your request online at

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia with over a decade of lending experience.

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing.