Home Buying in New City>Question Details

Vadavam, Home Buyer in 10956

Hello All: Recently we saw a expanded split level house and in the basement the old portion was separated with new one by a wall.No opening.

Asked by Vadavam, 10956 Wed Aug 17, 2011

Owner insists it can be done easily.
Instead he provided a separate stair case from living room into the basement new room which leads into a new car garage. No connection between 2 rooms.
My concern was why did they took long/expensive route instead of opening the dry wall between the two rooms in the basement.
Any county restrictions, foundation issues etc. Not sure.
Any suggestions/advice

Answers

8
seller may be hiding something. conduct a home inspeciton and ask inspector to investigate basement in particular
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Almost any situation can be remedied, but it may take some due diligence and available funds. You may want to check with the town in which the home was built to see if they applied for a building permit and if the owner received a proper certificate of occupancy. A licensed contractor or engineer can determine if the wall is bearing and if an opening can be installed.
Valerie Moldow
Keller Williams Hudson Valley Realty
(845) 222-4821
Does the owner have a Cof O for the addition to the basement? It seems strange to me that the seller added to the basement since it is so expensive. Rockland was named Rockland for a reason. If the seller does not have a Cof O walk from the property.
If you are interested in the property, it's in your best interest hire a licensed professional home inspector/engineer who can answer all your questions...
Hi Vadavam,

Even before making an offer you may request to see the house again, accompanied by an inspector or a structural engineer (along with your agent). In addition to your concerns I would inquire about what might be in the sealed off part - is it properly ventilated so mold isn't going to be an issue? Has there been any water accumulation in that part? All may be fine but I'd raise the question just the same.
Hello Vadavam,
It may have been that the owner did not want to compromise the integrity of the original foundation wall. As the others have said, if you have a serious interest in the house, hire a professional to evaluate it. It is money well spent.
Hi: I have a great contractor who can help you. Together he & I can brainstrorm with you in order to resolve this issue in the easiest & cheapest way. Please call me at my office: 914-273-9688 if you want to set up an appointment. Thanks. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Have a nice day. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 per licensee who joins us based on your recommendation. You can see more information on our website. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty.
Hello Vadavam, If you are interested in the house and have negotiated a fair offer, get the home inspected and/or bring in a contractor to answer your concern. If it is just dry way, it should not be a large issue(unless some type of support beam is needed. Use this in your negotiations if need be. Best of Luck!

Allan Erps, ABR,SFR,C.O.R.E.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BHG Rand Realty
95 S Middletown Rd
Nanuet, NY 10954
VM(24 Hours) 845-770-2141
Cell Phone/Text 845-304-3040
Fax# 845-624-7137
My Email: allan.erps@randrealty.com
For the latest in Buyers and Sellers Resources,
visit my website at; http://www.allanerps.randrealty.com
or find me on Trulia at;
http://www.trulia.com/profile/allanerps/