Patricia Hag…, Home Buyer in 23294

Heavy Snow on Saturday, Groundbreaking on Monday?

Asked by Patricia Hagens, 23294 Sat Jan 30, 2010

I signed a contract to buy a new home and the builder has scheduled the groundbreaking on Monday. We had heavy snow on Saturday. Are there any problems (Short term or long term) if the groundbreaking happens on Monday?

If the ground is not frozen the contractor can just push the snow out of the way with his heavy equipment. he could push it over 100' away if he wanted and the lot size permitted it.

If the ground is frozen hard and deep, I would expect him to wait awhile before starting work.
Good construction practices lead me to believe that digging and pouring concrete for footers and basements should not be done when the ground is frozen. I'd be very surprised if your builder started this for your house with heavy snow on the ground.

The building process is one that normally has allowances considered for minor problems that may be encountered along the way. A delay of a few days probably will not make much difference in your completion date.

Eventhough there may be snow accumulations, there may be things the builders can do that will not cause a loss in time. Clearing trees and brush, bringing in equipment, preparing the building site etc.

Additionally, if motivated, they WILL be able to move the snow necessary to begin work.........

Best wishes with your new home.

The Eckler Team
New builds contractors who are seasoned builders may not start due to weather conditions. Confer with your buyers agent or builder of the "what if's"

Depends on type of foundation and etc.