Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

Jena, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

Heat Pumps Vs. Gas Forced Air in home for sale

Asked by Jena, Indianapolis, IN Tue Jul 23, 2013

I'm used to a House with Gas heat (furnace) and central air (electric) My Dad always said getting a home with Gas Heat would save on the Heating bill. So I wonder, what is with these "Heat pumps" I see in many home for sale? I assume this cost much more regarding the electric bill in either Marion, Hamilton, Boone county? Also interested in what Electric company serves these counties

Answers

4
All the heat pump does is use the fan from the A/C to warm the air. I am from MI and had no idea what a heat pump was until I moved here. I am told it less expensive to run than a traditional furnace. Duke and Citizens will be your primary providers but it varies on location.
I am glad that you were able to clear that up. We don't see many heat pumps where I live, but I am moving to Victoria. Up there, it seems to be the standard, and I was curious about the differences. I am not too concerned about it because I rarely run my heating system.

http://www.accutemp.ca
Flag Fri Sep 26, 2014
Heat pump with gas back-up is the way to go! Cost more to install, but really helps in the cool months of October, November, March and April. My electrical bill did go up after installation, but my gas bill was cut in half during the course of the year.
This area enjoys low electric rates, so there is little cost difference between the two forms of heating, in fact, cost could favor electric. But Robert Haynes is correct; there is a difference in the air temperature from a heat pump compared to a gas furnace. For comfort, especially if you're "cold-blooded", a gas furnace is often preferred.

Marion County is mainly served by Indianapolis Power & Light, whereas Hamilton and Boone Counties are served by Duke Energy.

Peter Knight
peterknight@frontier.com
I had no idea that was the what caused it. That explains the difference between the last two apartments I've lived in. They stay at about the same temperature, but this one feels much warmer when it's heating up. It's an interesting to know the mechanics behind that.
Jenn | http://www.allclimatesolutions.com.au
Flag Sat Nov 1, 2014
Jena,
this is an arguable debate. The bigger question is comfort. Heat pumps work on the reverse cycle of your air conditioner. The don't blow warm heat like a gas furnace does. When the temperature reaches a preset limit, heating fins kick on and you finally get warm air. For me, I'd much rather have the soothing warm air put out by a gas furnace.
http://www.homesaleindy.com