Home Buying in Montclair>Question Details

cat.runcie, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Haven't seen much change in listings above $1M in 2 months--when does the "season" really begin, or is there just not much turnover in this area?

Asked by cat.runcie, Brooklyn, NY Tue Feb 26, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3108749610-177-Union-St-Montc…

Answers

6
It's true that there isn't much on the market in Montclair right now at $1,000,000 plus, but we're just beginning the spring market and a number of homes have already gone under contract. If you've got your heart set on Montclair (I get it, I live here), then ask an agent to send you auto email notices of new properties as they come into the MLS. If you're not already working with someone I would be happy to do that for you. If you want to consider other area towns, Glen Ridge, South Orange- Maplewood, Summit and Millburn are all on train lines. If the train is not a concern, Essex Fells, North Caldwell and Llewellyn Park in West Orange also have high end homes. But each of these towns has a distinct character which you may want to learn more about.

I've attached a link to what is available in Montclair.
http://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?r…
Not sure what your top price range is, but there about 40 homes currently available in Essex County, NJ between $1 and $2M. There are many more that have been on the market a bit longer, but still very desireable homes. I agree that the Montclair inventory is a bit sparse at the moment, but that should change as the weather improves. The spring "Season" is somehwat dependent on the weather. If spring comes early, so will the listings. Here is a link to homes that have been listed since January 1st of this year.

There are also several beautiful homes available above the $2 million if that is a consideration. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
You may want to consider looking in Essex Fells, as well. 8 out of the 10 listings
above $1M are less than 60 days old. The commuting options to NYC are similar
to some of Montclair's estate sections, a short drive to the train in Montclair, or directly
into NYC by car.

In the $1M to $2M range the taxes for some houses are half of Montclair. Depending
on acreage, upgrades, and amenities, even the highest priced homes offer a
large tax savings.

If I can be of any help, or you have questions, want comps,
just call or e-mail.

Mercure Volt
973-818-8506

Elite Realtors of NJ

http://www.yourHometownSearch.com
There has been a dearth of listings in the $1 - $1.3 range. I'm literally knocking on doors on behalf of buyers that can't find the right house. This price range does tend to follow a more true spring market which would start around April 1. The larger houses are also just harder to get ready for market. It's no secret that the taxes aren't light on these properties and I'm always surprised by the number of empty nesters that stay in the larger homes for many years. I guess it's a testament to the town and the houses. In short, there'll be more houses on soon, but inventory will be met with pent up demand.
This property just came on the market 4 days ago. A Montclair property for over $3M just came on the market today. I'm sure there will be more properties in all price ranges coming on next month as we move closer to the spring. I suggest you find yourself a realtor for the most up-to-date information. You just might miss out on something.

If you'd like my help, give me a shout. I'd be happy to provide you with the most current inventory and get you in to see properties as soon as they come on the market.
You have had 5 go under contract and some of that had been sitting around a while. Things are starting to move. If you are looking at new inventory I know several properties that are being prepped to hit the market in the next could of months. Inventory on a town wide basis is down over 30% from a year ago. If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out.