Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Gerard J. Ca…, Real Estate Pro in Spring Hill, FL

Have you been receiving scam leads on Trulia?

Asked by Gerard J. Carney, Spring Hill, FL Thu Jan 27, 2011

I have received a few leads in the past week that are too good to be true, which means that they are scams, nothing this good can be real. Have any of you agents, brokers, or other professionals been scammed by leads from Trulia. Please leave me a reply or phone me, 727-457-4015. If these are scams and they are spreading in the trulia community we need to bring it to Trulia's attention and nip this thing in the bud!

Answers

23
Hello Gerard,
I responded to your other post as well. I contacted my local police department a few months ago to determine if there was anything we could do to stop these scammers. I was told that by the time authorities could catch up with them that they would have already changed their names and moved on to a different scam. The police told me just to ignore them which, of course, I've been doing.
I hope this is helpful.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Gerard:

I do get a few "leads" that are obviously bogus and may be some sort of scam.The few, actually, very few compared to CraigsList, etc.

Of the few received ~ a woman found my profile "interesting" and wants to get married! Most of the others ask about getting ALL the listings and comparable sales in an entire zip code; condo's, homes, townhouse ~ 1, 2, 3, 4+ bedrooms.

Usually, when the message involves these few "keywords" ~ Faith, trust off-shore, next of kin, barrister, kindness,... I just hit delete.

WATERWAY REALTY, REALTORS®
Yes I just got one from my Keller Williams website. Peter Hinson.

Email: peterh166@hotmail.com
Phone: 7864655871
Name of consumer: PETER HINSON

PETER HINSON found you on and is requesting your expertise. Please follow-up as soon as possible!
Message from consumer:
PLANNING TO MOVE MY FAMILY INTO

A BIGGER APARTMENT AT THE END OF

SUMMER. I
NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL HELP ON

THIS.I INTEND TO SELL MY CURRENT

APARTMENT
AND I NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL

EVALUATION. YOU CAN GET BACK TO

ME AT PETERH166@HOTMAIL.COM
THANK YOU,
PETER

Not cool!! I followed up as I thought it was a lihit lead but spammers are sneaky and creative.

Mia Carmona
Keller Williams
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 28, 2013
You would think they would change the wording or email - I rec the exact same one and as always with these leads I google them to see if there are any cautions and thank you Trulia, Peter Hinson was here - peterh166@hotmail.com. Delete!!
Flag Thu Sep 12, 2013
I just got that exact one too. It seemed a little off.
Flag Wed Sep 11, 2013
just got the same one on our kW site as well
Flag Wed Sep 11, 2013
Crap- I just responded to the same one!

peterh166@hotmail.com
Flag Sat Aug 31, 2013
The Nigeria scam people are now working out of Lakewood, N.J. or at least that's the call ID said. They wanted access to my computer to install a program and would reward me with an incentive. I'll give them an incentive. Where's my rolling pin!

Phyllis Crosby, Realtor
ReMax Realtec
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 3, 2011
Gerard LOL on the funny stuff... go to my facebook and I posted a news story about a guy who wrote a contract including a marriage proposal to the Realtor!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 3, 2011
You mean the lead from Captain Munoomu in Nigeria who is looking for a $3+ million home in Florida and wants to send the money directly to my account isn't real? Dang.

Do you too wonder if the good "Captain" EVER gets anyone to respond? I guess the old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" must be true.

Louise Warring
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
My acct has been active for 1 week and I've to receive a lead. VERY FRUSTRATING.
No scams.
Not yet, but I'll remain vigilant. Thanks for the post!
I'm very skeptical when I get leads, because I know the field we're in. So, when I get a lead, I never get excited and always search for the person's info and see if I find something wrong or suspicious, like it just happened this morning! I didn't get it from here, but I also received a lead from KW, from the same guy, same msg and the same email (peterh166@hotmail.com). Now I have a question... what's the goal of Real Estate scammers? Just waste our time? Because I can't think of anything they can get from us. No money, no credit.. nothing. Anyone?

Thanks!

By the way, I'm in CO.
Yes, I got the same email as you did. It also came from KW. I to am in CO. Additionally, he wanted me to check out a link that showed the home he had to sell. I became very leary when it asked me to sign in to a website that had an Australian tag in the URL.
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
Step off of Peter Hinson...I just got that lead and he's mine now! Ha ha...Who is falling for this nonsense? I just got the email; must be really looking for a KW agent!
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
Tom,
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, he will get nothing from me. He'll get what that means.
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
Lori,

From what he tried to get from me he wanted access to email accounts. The site he directed me to wanted my email address and password.

Of course I didn't give it up.
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
He is still around, I suppose it's good to know that creativity is not that easy to come by. Thanks for the posts,

Email: peterh166@hotmail.com
Phone: 7864655871
Name of consumer: PETER HINSON

Message from consumer:
PLANNING TO MOVE MY FAMILY INTO

A BIGGER APARTMENT AT THE END OF

SUMMER. I
NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL HELP ON

THIS.I INTEND TO SELL MY CURRENT

APARTMENT
AND I NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL

EVALUATION. YOU CAN GET BACK TO

ME AT PETERH166@HOTMAIL.COM
THANK YOU,
PETER
I just got an email from Peter Hinson through the KW website as well...word for word... and yes the tip off is "apartment" instead of condo and some of the message is in caps. All the scams I've had have been structured like this. Thank you every one for your posts!
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
I just received this same lead, word for word. The tip off for me was calling his home an apartment.
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
I have never fallen for one of these scam leads, but I have certainly gotten emails from many scammers looking to send me a cheque in the mail for the full purchase of the home. lol.
Smart woman! I get those kind of emails to. This Peter guy sends emails that are a little more challenging to discern truth vs scam vs virus etc.
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
This Peter Hinson guy, 7864655871, peterh166@hotmail.com apparently has a new email and also has an apartment in the Birmingham, Alabama area he is trying to sell.
Besides this scam, i've also encountered renters looking for a rental home or condo and a scammer has posted info and pics from an actual listing in the MLS for sale on Craigslist and other outlets for rent. Trying to get someone to send a deposit without seeing the property. Sad part is, it works sometimes.
Probably not the forum for it, but whoever mentioned a rolling pin in one of the prior answers is letting these pieces of scum off easily.
Best of luck all , and Hope the next lead that is too good to be true, turns out to be true!
One can hope!

Aaron Sims
Keller Williams - Hoover, AL
I just received an email from him through Keller Williams lead generator. Guess he got tired of going through Trulia.
Peter H is still around and I am not biting either. This came in an e-mail today.

PLANNING TO MOVE MY FAMILY INTO A BIGGER APARTMENT AT THE END OF SUMMER. I NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL HELP ON THIS.I INTEND TO SELL MY CURRENT APARTMENT AND I NEED YOUR PROFESSIONAL EVALUATION.
THANK YOU,
PETER "Peter Hinson"

Thanks to everybody who helps report this so others do not get burned.
I just received this lead and he sent me an email requiring me to log in with my email and password. Just a way to hack you email.

Hi Tom Sams USN Associate Broker,

Peter saw your profile on Trulia, and wants to be contacted by you. We recommend you respond within 5 minutes to increase your chances of converting this lead.
Message: I am looking to move my family into a bigger premises before the end of summer and i had like your expertise on this one .I intend to make a quick purchase.kindly get back to me at peterh166@hotmail.com Thank you 7864655871

From: Peter
Email: peter18834@leads.trulia.com

Phone: 7864655871
View My Lead

Tip: Respond to leads instantly with the Trulia for Agents App for iPhone and Android.
What do you mean by scam leads. Give us an example...of too good to be true.

I ask for a pre-qual up front, then call the bank to confirm. Then you'll know whether they are legit or not.

I also do the same with clients who are local. I let them know upfront . This is the way I work. I do not work with buyers without knowing they are pre-qualified.

Phyllis Crosby, Realtor
ReMax Realtec Group
(813)886-2356
I got one last week. But, it was obvious so I reported it to Trulia.
Gerald;
It's not only Trulia; it's every other server.
It's not only Real Estate Agents, it's every profession.
This is nothing new...it's just a variation of the teeny ad in the paper saying that you can make money stuffing envelopes.
As with everything of this venue we have to be circumspect.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
I have been receiving several and have noticed an increase in the past few weeks. When they come in I report them as spam and delete them.
I have received several. What I do is copy them to Trulia agent support for them to mark them as spam in their system. Mostly they come in as "you have a new lead" and the body of the message suggest interest in any of your listings.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Gerard,

Thanks for heads up.
Yes,
I just report them as spam and delete them.

Debbie Albert
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
Yes. High end buyers looking to invest in the US.