Home Buying in California>Question Details

Dahlia, Home Buyer in Discovery Bay, CA

Have important question about SOLE DEED.

Asked by Dahlia, Discovery Bay, CA Fri Jun 12, 2009

My wife will not be on title or on mortgage loan. Will we still be able to file our taxes married filing jointly and get that 8,000 tax credit? I will be the sole proprietor of the home. They said i can go back the next day and put her name on the deed. But is this needed before we can file our taxes jointly???

Answers

2
Yes you can still file jointly and file for the tax credit as long as you qualify under the tax credit guidelines. Meaning no homeownership for either of you in the last 3 years. Im confused as to why you would have to "go back the next day" to have her put on the deed? This is a common thing to do AT closing with married couples. One on the mortgage but both on the deed. But its done on the inital closing.
Hi Dahlia,
Since this is very new, I suggest that you talk to your accountant if this is a great concern to you. Good luck on your new house