Home Buying in Baraboo>Question Details

Roger, Home Buyer in Delton, MI

Has anyone seen 715 Summit st Baraboo? Thoughts?

Asked by Roger, Delton, MI Fri Jun 4, 2010

Answers

3
This house belonged to my grandfather many years ago. HIs wife was an interior designer who made their home a showhouse of sophisticated design and good taste. My father , an architect ,directed many of their projects big and small. I can still remember the details of this amazing house down to the grass cloth on the walls and the silk fabric used for draperies in the living room. I too am a designer and appreciate what this house was now more than ever. It saddens me to see what is has become. I hope the new owner can restore this unique home and bring it back to life,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
I live in the neighborhood and would love someone to restore this home to it's initial "glory". A doctor owned (built?) it years ago, the last owners had it for a number of years and did not keep up it's maintenance. It has a flat roof and I've asked around to see if the home flooded (thus the damage shown in the listing photos), but no one knows for a fact. The roof is flat, which is NOT typical around here. There are garage doors at a lower street level, and the rumor is that there is some tunnel from that garage to the house, but no one I know can attest. It is a very private lot, it has so much potential, but I'd say that you'd have to take a machete to the lawn before you could start any work. Based upon real estate taxes, I'd say that this home has been assessed, and probably appraised before, in the high $100's.
I walked around it. Its in pretty rough shape. Some of the ceiling plaster is coming down, I'm guessing with a flat roof, if its not maintained it'll leak, the property is nice but very overgrown. It may be a repairable house but I'm guessing it'll take at least a month to make it habitable. It's definitely a full gut and remodel at best, at worst, there may be some structural issue.