Home Buying in Sacramento>Question Details

Velascop, Renter in Alpharetta, GA

Has anyone had experience buying from Guardian Home Brokers? I have put an offer on a renovated home owned by this firm in the Sacramento area.

Asked by Velascop, Alpharetta, GA Sun Dec 22, 2013

After four different home inspections, I am concerned that the renovations were mostly cosmetic, not addressing underlying problems.

Answers

7
Vela,

I think you answered this question yourself, already.

Your question implied that the seller and its agent represented the house as a renovated house. Then inspections revealed that there are underlying expensive problems to major systems such as the foundation that were ignored during the, ah, "air quotes": '"renovations'" ahem.

Your own experience with that seller is the best evidence you have to go on. When you look at renovated "flipper" homes assume that the renovation may have been cosmetic only and proceed with that prejudice, until convinced otherwise.

It would be wise to look closely at any renovated home to see if it is cosmetic only, or if the expensive basics such as foundation, HVAC, plumbing, electric, roof, windows, doors, appliances and other systems have been rehabbed, or if they needed it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 23, 2013
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
It is possible Guardian purchased the home at an auction, thus they do not know what, if anything, is wrong. What turned up in 4 inspections you conducted? Were the inspections from certified inspectors? If you are satisfied with the inspections, get a home warranty and move in. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Unfortunately, you have invested some money, but it could be cheaper in the long run and allow you to sleep at night.

Hope it works out for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013
We decided to not buy. There are significant foundation problems, and Guardian will not repair them
Flag Fri Jan 3, 2014
I image the fact they are not a Better Business accredited organization has something to say about them.
I have heard of nothing but problems with Guardian and the quality of their flipped properties (or lack thereof), from buyers, realtors, appraiser's (not the ones hired by Guardian though). Lack of disclosures, covering up issues with tarps (knowing the inspector's schedule) and making it appear as if work is being done at the time so access is impossible. I know of a buyer who has been trying to get them to correct problems for almost a year, they tell them someone is coming out, no one ever shows up, they don't return calls, their itemized lists provided to appraisers show work that was supposed to be done & dollar amounts for that work, but the work was never done, stating work was done to the air conditioning unit, actually installing an air conditioning controller in the house (no air conditioning in the house at all). This buyer is actually dealing with an attorney now. Avoid them like the plague.
I am going to submit an offer on one of those homes, my client saw at the open house and her husband happen to be home inspector and according to him they did amazing job, also the neighbors told us when investor bought the house they brought a huge dumsper and basically drop everithing there except for the roof that was in good condition and the drive way concrete with sme cracks on it and renewal all the rest
Assume nothing. Have all major systems inspected. Be prepared to back out of the purchase if there are serious problems. The cost of the inspections may be lost, but it will be money well spent. Ask for disclosures. If they will not provide the disclosures from when they purchased the house, be very wary.
Flag Mon Apr 14, 2014
I wouldn't concentrate on who the seller is. Rather I would recommend to rely more on the inspection reports and what your Realtor suggest. If you are worried about the quality of the remodel then you could have a contractor walk through the house and give his opinion too.

Jason Walter

REALTOR® - lic #01923240
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) - lic #103885
Hammer Real Estate Group
jasonwalter.re@gmail.com
Guardian is a large organization that has a system that they follow. That system can be very efficient, or it could be bureaucratic. If your gut feel makes it seem that there's more to the story, then the question is whether you want to take on that risk or not.

I would have your agent contact their legal hotline through CAR about whether the seller can be compelled to provide all disclosures from the previous seller. There may be a form or something. But you may also want to contact an attorney and understand your risk if you buy a home, where you suspect something else might be going on with the property, and you aren't made aware. You need to assess your risk.

CAR (CA Association of Realtors) may have a standard contract form that helps document the circumstances, but your own attorney would be needed to understand your full legal risk and circumstances. It's too big a gamble to go in without checking, if this is what you think.