Allie, Home Buyer in Silver Spring, MD

Has anyone ever worked with Residential Title Services ? Are they pretty reputable or do you suggest I have my own attorney present at closing?

Asked by Allie, Silver Spring, MD Fri Jan 29, 2010

Answers

7
We recently worked with them. My buyers chose them as the bank owned home they purchased recommended them and agreed to cover specific costs if we used them.

They did a fine job. It is your right as a buyer in MD to choose a title service. If you do not feel comfortable with their attorneys, then you may consider hiring your own attorney for closing.
I would not recommend using this title company. Their incompetence and poor communication made things more stressful than necessary for me. There were errors on my closing statement (thankfully fixed before settlement). Then at closing, my settlement officer basically told me to hurry up. Nice. The final straw though was when they made me fight for my own money for no good reason. They wouldn't give back my escrow money, telling me that they used most of it to pay a utility bill. I requested this bill several times, but they never gave me a copy. Finally, after I pestered them for 6 months, they pulled records from the city and realized that they were wrong. They didn't even apologize. They just said, "Oops," and sent me a check. This is either gross negligence or fraud. Just stay away.
Congratulations are buying a home. My clients used Residential Title out of Baltimore, MD. This was the attorney for DR Horton Homes in New Market. The attorney was very knowledgable and professional everything went great. I'm not sure if your transaction is for a new home or existing one. Just remember that the attorney at the title company is just making sure the documents get signed properly they are not there to represent either side. It is up to the buyer and seller to work out any disagreements. If something isn't working in the property the attorney can hold an escrow from the seller to make sure a licensed company comes out to fix an repairs that are needed. Once the repairs are fixed the attorney would release the remainder of the funds to the seller. Ask to review the Hud-1 before settlement that is always helpful. This is the settlement statement that shows what you are paying and what fees the seller is being charged for. If you find an errors let your title company know as soon as possible.

Good Luck
Web Reference: http://tammydurbin.com
I would start with the State of Maryland Insurance Administration to see if they have any outstanding issues or complaints against them. More importantly, you can call Residential Title and ask who their title insurer is. You can then call the title insurer and ask about claims and any other related issues. Now as for bringing an attorney to closing, the title company is not there to represent your interests. The title company is strictly there to adhere to the closing instructions of the lender. So my recommendation would be if you have any unanswered questions about your mortgage it would be in your best interest to have either your attorney or someone with mortgage experience in your corner at closing. If you have any further questions please call me Will Steneman at 410-536-3601.
Feel free to give their office a call and address any issues with them. You may want to find out if a attorney handles your closing or a closer. This would be important to know. Also, you may want to shop around concerning their closing cost. It never hurts to let your attorney look at the final HUD or have them present.
All Maryland title companies have attorneys - the title company (which the purchaser has the right to choose) really represents the mortgage company or bank. In my 33 years in this business, I have seen two buyers bring their own attorney to the closing - they got charged hundreds of dollars, read the documents and told the buyer to sign. No document can be changed at the closing table unless the mortgage company and seller agree to it - I've nere seen a document changed, unless it was wrong in the first place.
Save your money in Md., if you want ask the title company to email copies of the documents to your attorney and have him go over them before closing.
I only know Maryland law - I do not know how it is in Illinois - but maybe they're like Chicago politics.

Bill Wootan
Web Reference: http://www.billwootan.com
I would always have the attorney present at closing! you never know what could come up as well as he knows th laws for which things could be wrong. The old saying never represent yourself even if your an attorney! Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://www.maryjodaly.com