Home Buying in Woodside>Question Details

Homeshoppin, Home Buyer in Woodside, Queens, NY

Has anyone ever lived in a basement apartment at Boulevard Gardens? What are the cons of living there? Mold/mildew problems? Too hot/cold?

Asked by Homeshoppin, Woodside, Queens, NY Mon Aug 1, 2011

I recently viewed a basement apartment there that looked interesting from the inside (I don't mind the exposed pipes on the ceiling). There are 4 ground-level windows that are basically surrounded by dirt on the outside, since the outside of the apartment is surrounded by plants. The apartment was totally newly renovated so I have no idea what condition the walls and floors were in before. Will mold/mildew become an issue? (I actually saw obvious large spots of mold on the bathroom walls in a 4th-floor unit that we were shown in another building within the complex.) The rest of the surrounding basement area did not feel damp and there were fans blowing down there. Despite the fact that there were also open recycling receptacles nearby in the basement, we didn't see any issues with rodents, insects, etc. There were also no bad odors in the basement and the floors were pretty clean.

Answers

1
Unfortunately none of us can answer with accuracy as to past or future mold/mildew problems, and you may wish to have a professional inspection; if you have concerns regarding the units, consider other locations; you can check out http://www.mlsli.com for available area properties