Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Alison Joseph, Home Buyer in Lewiston, NY

Has anyone built or considered building one of the Shea homes in Reunion, CO area? Did you have a good experience?

Asked by Alison Joseph, Lewiston, NY Sat Jan 12, 2013

I've talked to the sales staff briefly, but can't really do much until I get my house here in NY sold.

Answers

9
Julie Montgomery’s answer
Honestly, Shea is a good builder, but Reunion is not a good location. Sorry, it isn't ... Green Valley Ranch (Reunion) started building new homes around 2003 when the market was super hot. Like now, there was huge buyer demand and very low resale inventory. When the market tanked in 2008, just about everyone who bought from a builder is now under water (owe more than the house is worth). Reunion was hit just about harder than anyone.

The other thing no one will tell you about buying a new home is the extra expenses you'll incur after the sale. Things like fences, sprinkler systems, landscaping in backyard; new window coverings throughout the home; MUCH higher taxes regardless of area (at least 1 to 1.5% of purchase price).

Also, beware of signs saying "Starting from the ...." regardless of what's advertised, just wait until you get to the design center. Everyone falls in love with the models (which have every upgrade and more to grab your attention). What a builder really includes is below average.

So, my advice: skip buying a new home and find a knowledgeable realtor who works in the area where you would like to live. Resale is ALWAYS a better value -- let someone else pay for the upgrades and lot premium!

Julie Montgomery, RE/MAX Masters, Greenwood Village, CO http://www.jmontgomery.com
Web Reference: http://www.jmontgomery.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 21, 2013
Yea, have to agree with Steve on that one. Reunion's a pretty nice place and no where near Green Valley Ranch.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
Green Valley Ranch and Reunion are not the same and not even that close to each other - some 50 blocks, farms, and Pena Boulevard separate them. Have you even been to Spaces?
Flag Sun May 12, 2013
As a few others have mentioned, Ms. Montgomery is a little off base when it comes to her assessment of reunion. As a homebuyer (not a broker) I viewed areas that made sense per square foot to purchase. Green Valley Ranch is a completely different area off I-70 south. Reunion is at Tower Road and 104th Avenue (very far north). They are two distinctly differently areas. When she was referring to people losing their shirt buying in reunion, she was referring to all areas when the market conditions changed. Almost every area declined in value. People are selling now with large gains, again in most areas. She was correct about taxes. Taxes are higher in Commerce City, but HOA offsets at only $29 a month and includes full rec center use for the family as well as trash removal, not to mention lowering building costs per square foot. It is a tad bit east but you are close to E470 and to highway 85 (to 76) to get downtown. I just purchased a Shea Home with eyes wide open. I knew what I was getting in standard features and what I would pay for. Very few builders offer free fences, blinds for the house, and sprinkler systems. That is common to expect when buying a new home in any location. But, I get to choose what I want and do not need to modify an existing home or live in someone else's creation. All depends what you want. So, as an actual homebuyer at Shea, the builder offers tons of standard features. They do give free fences on the wings in front and the back fence. Me and my neighbor will get to split costs of side fences. I compared seven builders and found Shea to be competitive. I wanted to be closer to the airport (10 min) without being in a direct flight path. Reunion accomplishes all of this. I am happy with my choice.
Alison,

One of my clients closed on a Shea Home in Reunion (Spaces Collection). Doreen the on-site sales person was wonderful to work with. Their lender was competitive. The walk-through was very organized and professionally handled.

My client originally was in the market for a resale home, she wanted a foreclosure or short sale, thinking it would be the most economical way to go, many of the homes we viewed had deferred maintenance or just simply were overpriced. In the end I convinced her to look at new and took her to SPACES BY Shea. She fell in love the homes, and was able to build from scratch with some upgrades and still pay less than than resales.

If you need a Realtor with experience with that builder and community, please contact me. Would be glad to help.

Heike Suekama
Broker/Owner

Metro Elite Realty Group
720-971-1808
Web Reference: http://www.HomesbyHeike.com
HI Alison,
Shea is a superior builder and right now is closing out the current Shea Spaces area of Reunion and will be moving south of 104th Ave to the area of Reunion called Southlawn. My favorite sales staff there is Doreen, she is superior. Their average build time is about 6 months and you can reserve a lot at any time. Let me know if you have more questions or need "feet on the street" here locally while you wrap up your New York sale?

Georgia Way
Your Castle Real Estate
303-906-3598
http://www.reunioncoloradohomes.com
georgiaway@findwayhome.com
Hi Alison,
I haven't worked in Reunion recently, but Shea is a good builder with a good reputation as far as I have heard. Definitely work with a Realtor representing you though, it won't cost you any more to work with your own Realtor and they won't give you a discount if you don't use a Realtor, so it's best to have your own representation. Best of luck to you.
Alison,

I have had good experiences with them but it has been a couple of years ago. They seem to be a quality builder with good communication skills. I have some clients still living in the Reunion and have had a good experience there. I wouldn't go into this without having a Realtor representing you as a Buyer's Agent. You will get a lot of help and support and the builder will welcome the agent and is prepared to pay the agent commission without affecting your sales price. Let me know if I can help. All the best with your purchase.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Alison,

I have worked with buyers whom have been very happy with Shea homes in Reunion. They build a good product and stand behind there product.

Best of luck with your sale in New York, trust you have it listed?

Let me know if I can help in any way you might need.

All my best,
Bill Pearson
720-329-1470
Hi Alison,

I represented a Buyer who just closed on a Shea home in Reunion two weeks ago. I would be happy to assist you if you are considering a home purchase there. My contact information is below.

Jean Stevens, Broker Owner
The Stevens Group, LLC
Jean@ColoradoLiving365.com
http://www.ColoradoLiving365.com
Yes had a great experience. Make sure you use a broker though to ensure your interests are the priority and not the builders. Some brokers may even be able to negotiate a better purchase price or free upgrades.