youngjohn, Home Buyer in Trabuco Canyon, CA

Has anybody else had a Poor Experience with the Keller Williams Mission Viejo Office?

Asked by youngjohn, Trabuco Canyon, CA Tue Sep 3, 2013

We just purchased our tenth property in the past few years. This was our first experience with KW. We have never had such poor communication or lack of response from any real estate office. We closed TEN days ago and they still have not given us a closing packet or keys. We cannot even get into our mailbox! We had to actually contact the seller and ask him for any extra keys he has. Ten days later, NO response. They got their money and disappeared!

Answers

9
I would like you to direct your concerns to Rino Caturano and Portia Ryan, 949-282-1476. They need to successfully address your complaints. Unfortunately complaints about the office hurt the individual agents who may be good agents. Please include the name of the individual agent that was responsible for communication and your satisfaction.

As an Agent and KW Realty there is no way I would allow anyone to make the statements you are making and the agents I know at KW would not allow it either. Please to do not place blame on the whole KW office because one agent dropped the ball.

Also the closing package will come from your title agent. Who was handling title for you? KW can help you get that answer. Don't give up without demanding Rino and Portia give you answers. We have not disappeared -- contact Rino or Portia today.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2014
I misspoke -- the closing package will come from your Escrow Agent, not title. Nevertheless, Portial/Rino can help you make that contact.
Flag Sat May 31, 2014
Call the broker of the agent and the escrow officer in charge for help. They can direct you. Closing statement is sent out within 48 hours Ask escrow about this
key the locks is what I would advise whenever you buy a property

Ingrid, thank you for your response. I received a call and an email from the broker of record (not the agent). The keys that they promised, open the mailbox, pool, and storage closet. I certainly will re-key the front door this week. I was able to secure the front door key from the realtor lockbox. It has been 9 days since COE. I would think that somebody in that office would have been a little concerned about us getting the keys and "closing packet". I was wrong. Nobody seemed to care. The escrow manager at SouthOCEscrow is NON-Responsive. She has ignored several emails, including another today. Just simply ignores them. I am hopeful that the broker of record will be helpful.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
I would see if I could resolve this by calling the escrow officer first to make sure it is closed and recorded, then find out where they sent the closing statement and see if someone put a wrong addtess.on the package. once that is resolved I would call my agent one more time and inquire about the keys. If you don't get a response call the office to see who the office manager is and speak to them, or better yet find out who the office manager is from their website.
Lori Hanson
OC HOMES REALTY
BRE01405146
John,
I suggest you contact Rino Caturano @ 949-282-0088. He is the Team Leader / Manager and a truly nice gentleman. I suspect something is amiss. As others have said, you should have received your closing package from Escrow (which may or may not be "in-house") As for your keys, your agent should have retreived these for you but also the Seller / former owner could provide them. For your sake, you should ALWAYS re-key the locks after to achieve possession and before you move anything in.

I don't believe this is a KW issue, it seems more like an agent issue. (Note: I am not affiliated with Keller Williams)

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach CA
888-391-5245
John, I hope all is resolved now. Personally, I do not believe in using in-house Escrow Companies. You may have been "pressured" to use SouthOCEscrow but that's between Seller and Buyer to decide NOT the agent or Broker. If you have needs in the future, I would be happy to help you.
Best wishes,
Thom Colby
888-391-5245 direct everywhere
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013
Thanks Thom. I would not know if it is an agent issue. I have never spoken to Devin Doherty, the agent. I believe it is a KW issue, because Devin and his incompetent staff represent KW. Ironically, it was KW that "pushed" us into using their escrow company (SouthOCEscrow), who ironically is owned by KW! The escrow manager there has not responded to any of my emails for six days! So, it has been nine days since COE and I don't know where my "closing package" is and I don't know if they have the keys that they promised nine days ago. I did contact Rino two times in four days. He just emailed me at 4:24 tonight. Hopefully, we will get some resolution tomorrow!!! Again, thank you.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Being an experienced investor you can see a difference in Realtors. Realtors and lenders are not all the same which is good and bad. I've not heard any complaints about that office. As stated below contact the Broker for the office or they may have someone called the Broker of record. You can also called OCAR directly 949.586.6800 which cover Orange County Realtors/Brokers.
Something doesn't sound right. Go to the KW office (talk to the broker) and the escrow office and demand an explanation. I wouldn't wait any longer.
Boy, thats weird, your closing package should come from Escrow, and you should easily have that by now. I would call them immediately. As far as the keys are concerned, if it were me, and I had adequate documentation, e-mails, texts, letters, and still no one contacted me then I would go directly to the Brokers Office with your story. I doubt that the Broker will be pleased with your Real Estate Agent, especially in this market where Brokers are trying to recruit Agents. If you have purchased 10 properties in the last few years are you Agent hopping? In my opinion you should stick with one Agent if that Agent does an outstanding job for you. Hope that helps.
Al Burnham, Olympic Realty
http://www.southorangecountymls.com
This is a real concern but I can't help wondering if there isn't more to this story. Have you been in touch with the broker/manager to ask for their support?

Often the poor communication is a result of both parties failing to participate.......

That's sad to hear....of any Realtor. My guess that this more a reflection of the particular agent you worked with than the company as a whole.

You may want to find out who the broker is that runs the office and file a complaint.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you for your response. I left messages for Rino Caturano, the KW office manager, and the district manager in L.A., but no response yet.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Thank you for your response. I have left both phone and email messages for the agent, Devin Doherty. No response. The office manager, Rino Caturano, had his assistant email me to say he would call me, but that never happened either. They are asleep at the wheel. Still no closing packet! Devin's assistant told us that she would get it to us early last week??
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013