Home Buying in Laurel>Question Details

Lanette, Home Buyer in Elkridge, MD

Has any one had issues with Ryan Homes/NVR mortgage in the Laurel MD area?

Asked by Lanette, Elkridge, MD Mon Mar 30, 2009

We are specifically looking at Laurel Ridge and Sandy Spring Estates in Laurel. My husband and I are considering buying there and have heard some nightmares about Ryan. I just want all the info I can get. Any tips are appreciated.

Answers

12
Lanette,

Ryan Homes doesn't have the best reputation in the real estate community. Partly because they don't work with Realtors, but also because they usually offer the bare minimum to be able to advertise low prices. They are notorious for having zillions of add-ons and options.

However, they can certainly build you a quality home. My advice, hire the best home inspection company you can find. Write in the contract of the sale that you will be doing 3 inspections....1) Foundation inspection before they back fill 2) Pre-drywall where the framing of the house, plumbing and electrical can be checked and 3) Pre settlement. And that you won't settle until all items on a punch out list are complete . A great inspection company is Highland Home Inspection at 410.772.9332.

As other agents have mentioned though, you should make sure you've explored all options with other homes available. My team and I would be happy to explore this with you at no cost to you. We can find out if there is a better builder or other deals for you.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Web Reference: http://www.123move.net
Yes, My wife and I did have problems with Ryan Homes/ NVR. We purchased a home in Apopka FLA. where we started with NVR as the mortgage company. Four and a half months of hell 4 different loan officers processors what ever NVR tells who they are. I supplied 2 1/2 sets of my financial records to them and these were misplaced and they needed the same information over and over.

We went with 5th 3rd Bank for a mortgage 3months in we were approved and NVR did not like that so they start having the sales person hound me that she could find you a mortgage. I was talked to about this subject every time I had a encounter with her.

NVR set the closing date they provided the CO to the home the morning of the closing to 5th 3rd and wanted a closing that day. During the process I was even THREATENED that I would be charged interest on the home if I did not close on the date they set. Nice being charged interest on a home that I did not own!!!!

If you purchase a Ryan Home go and get your own mortgage and do not entertain any idea of NVR you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 26, 2013
We are purchasing in the Sandy Spring Estates Community and are using NVR as our mortgage company to receive the incentives offered by Ryan Homes. I too have heard the horror stories about Ryan and just about every other builder our there. The problem I had was that Ryan/NV has like 90% of the market in new home construction in the Laurel area...and I want to stay in Laurel. I must say that if you are looking to purchase in either one of these communities you are coming in at a pretty good time. Laurel Ridge is already in construction and many of the homes are finished and Sandy Spring is just beginning construction. As for issues, our delivery date has been pushed back too many times to count, with the latest estimate being a 9 month delay from the the original delivery date. This is all due to the fact that we signed in the very early stages...prior to any mass advertising on Ryans part for the community. We received a great deal of incentives, but we're suffering now because of the delays. Also, unlike what the other posters have discussed, Ryan has been working with my agent from day 1. Our agent is the one that has been fighting for additional incentives to make up for the delay, successfully and unsuccessfully at times.
I love the area and I love the fact that Sandy Spring offers homes that are truly single family (not arms reach away from the next house) unlike the other new communities coming up all over the Metro area. We have been offered an opportunity to move into one of the other Laurel communities but have decided against it for that very reason. However, with all that being said, if I could back out and get my deposit back I would, because I'm tired of waiting. The default clause in Ryans contract is bogus, because the contract states that they're not at fault for anything that would typically cause a delay...therefore you're just stuck unless you want to walk away without the thousands of dollars you put down. Apparently, according to my agent and others who have purchased new from other builders this is fairly typical in new home construction. Hope this helps..and good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 23, 2009
I have been around new construction for a couple years. Personally I would choose a small to mid size builder over the big companies. The quality of work is lower for the big companies because they lowball all of their subcontractors. If you speak with any subcontractors who do new contraction I'm sure they would tell you the same thing and in the end you get what you pay for.
Dear Lanette,

To Brian Pakulla's advise, I would have to say I agree 100%, get a good inspection company and find your self a experienced mortgage loan officer.

Michael Schroeder
Bank of England
410-734-2204
mschroeder@bankofengland.com
Hi. I haven't used them to purchase a home, but my relatives have. I don't know the office they are using but from the reviews on this and various other web sites SHOWS that they haven't changed their practices. My relatives have been dealing with them for months now and have had nothing but problems. Lost documents that have to be replaced, new requirements to fulfill and papers to sign, etc. etc. etc. I'd look elsewhere. I've purchased a home in the past and I haven't heard of such problems as this company. Sounds incompetent and shady. Beware.
I too have been reading the information on this site and it seems we all have some negative experience with this company.

Just an open end question for the folks out there.

Is anyone or is there a Lawyer out here reading these post that want to entertain a Class Action Law Suit?
I would look at this website.
We are currently approved by NVR Mortgage for a loan, and waiting for the permit to be approved. We were told that there would be black stuff around the edges of the rooms, because of the high efficiency of the house, or something. Now that I have read the following websites and emails from customers or Ryan Homes, it sounds like that black stuff is actually stuff coming from the attic (insulation) getting circulated to the house. I certainly am considering cancelling our arrangement soon.
I bought a Ryan Home in Baltimore County in 2008. I used their mortgage company in Columbia. Make sure you have a lawyer check the contract.
Thanks Klamorris! This is great information. If there are any more updates, please let me know. I hope everything works out for you.
Hi Lanette,

In my opinion and experience, Ryan's main focused with cranking out as many units as possible, not in providing quality and customer service. As the previous agent stated, Ryan does not cooperate with realtors and under no circumstances would I ever advise someone to negotiate a home purchase without a realtor. There are so many smaller, quality builders out there that want their customers to be satisfied--don't limit yourself, especially in this buyer's market. Of course, it is ultimately your choice, but I highly recommend doing some research on other options. If you would like assistance, I would be more than happy to help with your search and answer any questions or concerns that you may have. Please feel free to contact me at LDevnew@cbmove.com or on 410-615-0990

Lisa Devnew
Coldwell Banker
Hi Lanette, In my experience Ryan homes are not the most cooperative when working with sales agents and their clients.

I ALWAYS recommend Toll Brothers to all of my clients...For several reasons like quality, professionalism, creativity, speed of work, etc...They are the best and have plenty of home builders rewards to show for it.

Best of luck to you
Web Reference: http://www.AlqamarMalik.com