The community is still very small with only hand full of people with school going children.
Any suggestions on where to find pointers on making petitions for issues of this sort?
1) Get political and form a neighborhood group.
2) Select a group name and designate TWO members who will represent the group and interact with the press.
3) Form your "action plan".
4) Start an email distribution list to keep all members updated.
5) Prepare for a 12-to-24 month period of attending school board meetings.
6) Review the background of this post: http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/Heard_about_Mission
Also, Alex is generally correct; however, the school district has final jurisdiction in these matters.