Voices Member,  in

Harlem

Asked by Voices Member, Thu Aug 25, 2011

HI all -- more questions from me! I am wondering what you all think of Harlem as a neighborhood. Is it up and coming, in your estimation, or kind of status quo?
thanks

Answers

10
Harlem has gone through a revival and there is a lot of activity in the area.
The area has been up & coming for close to a decade. It has rich history, music, arts, politics...great shops and restaurants. I enjoy the area when I visit friends and have shown many units. Don't take my word for it, track the history of sales for the last seven years, it's going one way and that is up. You'll find large units at excellent prices, not to mention the buidlings, townhouses have such beautiful character. Best of luck and for all your real estate needs feel free to contact me.

Please Contact:Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg Realty
127 East 56th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-1000 x 435 (tel)
(917) 647-8966 (cell)
HI Sdtrendy,

Harlem is a location with history, spirit, culture and affordability. Harlem may be the neighborhood you are looking for. With all the new construction in Harlem it hasn't lost its old historic flavor. There are still many prewar buildings and beautiful 19th century townhouses featuring fireplaces and molding and lovely backyards.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good Luck!

Mitchell Hall, Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
mhall@corcoran.com
917-312-0924
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 4, 2011
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
In my opinion Harlem is up and coming. When I went to Columbia in the late 60's we were warned not to leave the campus. Many of the buildings were in disrepair. Now I see a community with new condos being built, coops being renovated and many cultural events taking place. Median income has gone up showing more of a middle-class population.
I feel safe walking in Harlem, something I didn't as a college student.
The question is not inherently inappropriate, there are plenty of inappropriate ways for an agent to answer it.

Harlem is up and coming in that real estate that is convenient to the city can be had relatively cheaply there right now, which is very attractive to condo developers. It would be interesting to see if it turns into a big hotspot after the Hell's Kitchen boom runs its course.
Oy! I should have remembered that asking for opinions of this sort was inappropriate. I'm really sorry and I thank you for the advice to go check out the neighborhood in detail.
Hi, again. I feel like we're old friends,
By law real estate agents cannot comment on particular communities. I can tell you though, that Harlem has any wonderful new developments that have sold well and that there are many more and varied businesses and services than ever. I would suggest you walk around, see what you think, consult the precincts on crime states, look into schools if that's a concern, and see if it feels like where you want to live. Then use an experienced agent to find you the right property at the right price.

Keep those questions coming.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com for all NYC listings
The best way to judge a neighborhood is to do your due diligence on it. Walk the streets or drive around at different parts of the day and night to get a feel for what is going on.
tic7Hi Sdtrendy,

Unfortunately, the brokerage community cannot answer this question as it's against the FAIR HOUSING LAWS. What we would suggest is for you to walk around Harlem and see if you like it and if works for you and/or your investment opportunities.

Nick Rafello, V.P.
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
646-221-8321
nrafello@corcoran.com
Hi Sdtrendy,

Nick Rafello, V.P.
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
646-221-8321
nrafello@corcoran.com