Home Buying in Littleton>Question Details

Leah Thomas,  in Denver, CO

HUD home inspection costs

Asked by Leah Thomas, Denver, CO Fri Feb 19, 2010

Regarding a HUD home purchase, what are the costs involved in getting the utilities turned on for the inspection, re-winterizing after inspection, etc.

Answers

5
When you do a HUD deal there is a Permission to turn on utilities form you fill this out, Then it is up to the Buyer's Agent to get them turned on. Most of the time the power is on and the gas may be on. You must call the water company to get it on for the Inspection. You must be at the home when the water is turned on and it is good to have an inspector and or plumber there as well. HUD WILL re-winterize the home. That is why you fill out the form letting MCBREO know when you are inspecting the home. This can all be done at no cost.
Brian
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 19, 2010
HUD is not in the real estate business maintenance business. Hopefully that small amount will be offset easily by the great deal that you are getting!
I am paying $150.00 to dewinterize and another $150.00 to re-winterize! The cut off for rewinterizing is apparently April 30th and my inspection has to be done by the 26th - so believe it or not, my buyer has to pay for the re-winterization for a 4 day period. No ones seems to want to work with me on that!
I think $125 is pretty reasonable - I've had them recommend plumbers that run up to $350. Usually the city/county and excel will turn on everything for free on their end if you call up and explain the situation.
Hi Leah,

I just closed another HUD. This time the Inspector recommended Hummel Plumbing. They came and turned on the water and then re-winterized for I believe it was $125.00 total. The property was in Aurora and they didn't charge anything for turn on and turn off for the water. When I called the gas/electric companies they told me to just flip the switch everything was already on at the house.

Hope that helps and I hope all goes well with your HUD transaction! The people at MCBREO are so helpful, they'll help you make sure everything works out.

Sandy Kinslow
The Kinslow Team
Coldwell Banker
kinslowteam@aol.com