Lk, Real Estate Pro in Mid City North, Baton...

HUD accepted your cash purchase offer with you as single buyer can you add your spouse on deed/title before closing? How to do it? Best idea please.

Asked by Lk, Mid City North, Baton Rouge, LA Tue Aug 16, 2011

HUD accepted your cash purchase offer with you as a single buyer, to be safe incase any thing happens to you, you would like to add your spouce on ownership deed or title to protect your investment, can you add your spouce before closing? Please note it is a cash purchase. What are the steps to be taken, without going through a whole lot and or loosing your deposit? Please be clear and explain in details. Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Simply wait and add your spouse after closing. Making more out of this than is needed
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 29, 2011

These answers are correct, but one thing we commonly do in GA is have the closing attorney's office simply go ahead and draw up the deed with your wife's name on it and you can go ahead and sign it at closing. The attorney's office will simply have you sign the original one in your name and then immediately sign the 2nd one. They will record them both the same day. This eliminates the need for you to have to wait or go down to the courthouse and do it yourself. They usually don't charge for that here, unless it's a simple fee for recording it. Good luck!

Melissa Stephens
The Stephens & Stephens Group
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
404-843-2500 Office
678-776-1895 Cell
800-383-0430 Fax - Website

Comment on our blog:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 16, 2011
it is almost impossible to get HUD to change the contract to add 2nd name to it. I tried and was unsuccessful. The best way at this point is after every thing settled (deed recorded), you can go to your county recorder office to ask for a form to add your wife name to the deed. Fill it out as required (signatures verified etc) and submit fee ($15 for me). Wait for a few weeks and whoalaaaaa ... it is official.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 16, 2011
You cannot add her BEFORE Closing because the Title is not in your name YET!
And what's so important about that; what's the urgency?
You can add her after it is RECORDED, by simply going down to the County Recorders Office and asking them.
Congratulations on both.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer