Buyer2011, Home Buyer in 30005

HT Line in the Sub division, nearer to the houses

Asked by Buyer2011, 30005 Sun Nov 6, 2011

Hello, thanks again for the input I get from the experienced professionals over here. Is it standard to allow HT lines in SD. The house we are looking at has HT line going through the SD. It is almost over the inner roads and almost running along the inner road nearer the house we are looking at. There is a power pole bit far a way from the house but there are no other houses going to be built between the house and where the pole is located. There is almost 1/3 acre empty space. Given the orientation of the house following are my questions: 1. How much the power transmission lines play a role in the value of the house? Is there a scientific real estate/home safety study that discusses the effects. please let me know any links 2. Can I request any GOVT agency ( say for example transmission company) to give some assurance in writing that its a safety issue or not? Will it help in protecting the price? Any help in this aspect will help greatly. I appreciate your help.

Answers

9
From an appraisal standpoint, if I see them then I adjust for them. Visually they have an adverse impact - if they're in close proximity then even more so. In addition to the visual impact, if you are close enough you'll hear wind whistling through them and in rain you'll hear them popping with static electricity. East Cobb has them over a middle school parking lot and when park under them you will arc when you touch your car.

If you can see them, stay away from them - period; I say that as both an active certified appraiser and broker. And since I'm always curious as to why folks post questions like this here - do you have an agent advising you? If so, do you trust them? What are they saying?

Hank
Thanks Hanks and all the valuable input.
The reason for me to seek your advice is to have as much input as possible to make an informed choice. The location is Gates SD in Johnscreek
The general concensus on this home is two fold. If you haven'y bought it, don't. AND the resale value is greatly minimized. Those are two concerns that don't even take in the fact as to the residual damage that prolonged exposure to the lines could cause. Because it is nebulous, stay away from it. There are plenty of good homes in your area that provide what you need without the looming danger of sickness. I am assuming that you do not have an agent, as the agent would have made the issue known to you. There are so many issues that an agent can resolve that you should have an agent, and you don't pay for it. Can you buy the home without an agent, and do it more inexpensively?? NO, that is a myth. In fact the opposite is true. Agent can negotiate better deals and have access to documents that allow us to know where to place our offer based upon what the sellers has in it, and what the value proposition is in that particular area. Blessings. 404-394-7197
It depends how close the lines are to the home. Also keep in mind that people will compromise on an issue like that when the home is new than they will after the home has aged. It can impact the ability to sell greatly if it is too close to the line. You would need a substantial reduction to make it worthwhile.

I would have to see the home to know if it is too close.

I am sure you know that there are not many new homes in that area in that price range.

All the best, Jeff

Jeff Aughey
RE/MAX Prestige
770-329-4495
I would stay away from this house as it would definitely impact future buyers when you are ready to resell the home, they would have the same concerns as you.

I would be delighted to help you find your dream home. Call me on my cell # 404-217-5168 or e-mail me at "arthur.harris@metrobrokers.com. I would like to invite you to visit my website as shown below.
Thanks. The SD I am referring is Gates in Johnscreek. if it helps to put a better perspective
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
If I was buying a home right now, I'd stay away from this house.

There are some studies regarding the large power transformers and them causing autism - I have no idea where they are - just heard of them.

There are plenty of other homes out there I'm sure.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
I would look for house without the power line situation - particular for resale in the future. Psoepctive buyers will have same concern you have. Obviously, I'd be happy to help you find something more sutiable!

Ed
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011