Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Lorriehastru…, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

HOW DO I SELECT THE RIGHT REAL ESTATE AGENT?

Asked by Lorriehastruck, San Francisco, CA Thu Apr 4, 2013

Answers

9
Lorrie,

I recommend you research them online and take into account there client testimonials and use that as a gauge. Then contact them and see if your goals align and if you'll be a good fit.
Our market is very competitive at the moment and you want an agent that is active and able to provide insight and advice in a timely fashion. Each of us brings a different skill set to our business that enhances the relationship and I've found that sometimes it's important to know which properties are best to forego rather than pursue. A good agent will guide you through the process seamlessly.

Lizete
Here are just a few questions to ask when choosing representation:

- What are the most important skills and resources you offer your clients?
- What is your area of expertise?
- Tell me about the last deal or two you closed?
- Why are you with the brokerage you’re with?
- Is this your only career?
- References, References, References!

Good agents help educate you, don’t make decisions for you, tell you when you need to consult other experts, restrict themselves geographically, are full-time professionals, have contacts for skilled & high integrity resources, and have the time to serve you properly.

Best of luck,

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
You want one that has experience and i have several I can recommend. Call or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 415-5626.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Toll Free: (855) 415-5626 ext. 5734
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Lorrie,

I cover this exact topic in my homebuyer webinars. I think it's a great question and I'm happy to share some tips that I've seen my buyers use to get the best results. Next webinar is May 7. It's free and is only 30mins long. Please consider joining us! Registration/info link is below.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
There's lot's of very well qualified RE professionals in SF. Love that place. Our favorite vacation destination besides Europe.
Hello Lorrie,

I would first of all ask for a recommendation from friends and colleagues. IF they don't have someone they liked, check out websites such as Zillow, Trulia and LinkedIn where agents have reviews from their clients.

Then I would email or call the agents of interest to check out their response time and your rapport with that person.

The next step is meeting. I almost always do a Buyer Consultation with prospective clients. After spending an hour or so, we generally have a good idea if we are a good fit or not.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want? How many buyers has this person represented in the past year or two? Do they have others to help? What kinds of relationships (do they have) that will benefit you?

We will always say good things about ourselves. Other sites will have other agents--and more importantly our clients--(hopefully) say good things about us.

Finding the right agent is very important as buying a home is difficult right now. You must be able to trust this person and commit to an honest, long-term relationship to work together to accomplish your goals.

Trust your friends, your gut and recommendations from someone who has worked with your prospective new friend and agent.

Good Luck!!
Rebecca
It's difficult. I equate the process of finding a Realtor to dating. Even if an agent answers all your questions well, that still doesn't mean they are the right agent.

I would suggest going out on a showing with a few different folks - like going on a first date. Get out in the field with each and note how they behave with you. Do the agents talk about themselves or do they ask you questions? Are they able to provide useful information about the neighborhoods, market trends, etc.

Chances are you will feel more of a connection to one of these initial Realtors than others...that's the one you should go with.

I have long found this to be a more useful approach then sitting and answering questions.
One thing you need to realize is that you are hiring whoever you choose. Many buyers don't view it this way because the seller pays the commission. Here is a blog I wrote on the subject that you will find useful:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/lance_king/2009/09/it_does_matter_who_yo…

You should interview several brokers/agents to find the right fit and skill level. And the market is very tough right now, so your choice is more important than ever. We are always available for no strings consults, and the first thing we'll cover is whether it makes sense for you to buy now or if it makes more sense to wait.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
DRE License# 01384425

facebook page: http://www.facebook/kingrealtysf
http://www.trulia.com/blog/laura_coffey_abr_qsc/2011/03/10_q…

Read my BLOG for tips on that and many more things when buying a home.